Affordable NAS + Client combo recommendations

rdross80

Reputable
Sep 9, 2016
For a long time now I've been wanting to build a media server to rip all of my Blu-rays and be able to stream to my TV. Times have changed quite a bit since I first looked into it years ago. I originally would have have had to build a server PC and an HTPC to get it all to work, but doing research now, it looks way simpler. The NAS boxes I see now seem like they could easily handle server duties, and I can use just about anything from a Firestick to a Raspberry Pi to stream to.

There are so many options out there to pick from, and I'm trying to figure out my best ones. I don't want to break the bank getting all of this together, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. For NAS boxes I've read a lot of good things about Synology's devices, but they have so many different setups to choose from and I'm not sure which would fit my needs. The most basic thing I want to do, is just be able to directly stream Blu-ray MKVs with no transcoding to multiple TVs. I would assume, that being the case, I could get a fairly modest NAS since there wouldn't need to be much processing done on it's end. I was looking at the Synology DS412+. It's an older box, so it's cheaper and it's 4 bays, which is the minimum I would want. Is there any reason this wouldn't work for my needs? As for my client, I was going to use a Raspberry Pi 3. Would this be capable enough to directly accept a 1080p file? This setup would be well within my price range.

My main concern with this setup though, is future-proofing. 4K Blu-rays are coming out now, and I would like to eventually upgrade my collection to this format, and I'm not sure if the Pi could handle this. Also, while not a necessity, it would be nice to be able to stream to tablets. But if that would mean upgrading to a more expensive NAS for transcoding, then I'm not too worried about it. Any thought or suggestions? Your help is appreciated.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have an extra desktop computer handy?

Consider FreeNAS

http://www.freenas.org/

Or you might be able use your Raspberry Pi3 with an attached external hard drive case to make up the media server in lieu of a desktop.

Could be that somebody has already done that. Check the FreeNAS forums/support.

rdross80

Reputable
Sep 9, 2016

As for an extra desktop, not currently. I'm planning on upgrading some of my current desktop, so I'll have some spare parts I could make one with, so it's a possibility to build one, I just didn't want to go through the headache of it all. Although if I did, I was thinking I'd lean more towards unRaid as the OS. As far as using a Pi3 for the server, is it even powerful enough for that? I don't think I've heard of anyone doing that before. I'd have to do some research.

Ralston18

Titan
FreeNAS is well known and some folks have done amazing things with the Pi3.

In all honesty not sure how much of a headache it could end up being but I would expect "not much".

Should be fairly straight forward to set up a test box and see/learn. Could be pleasantly surprised...

But if you find that your requirements are pushing the limits into the headache zone then probably time to look into other options.

In the meantime (being the curious sort) I was googling about using "Raspberry Pi Freenas" - various wording and phrases.

People have been using the Raspberry Pi and Freenas together....

E.g.:

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/how-to-build-your-own-raspberry-pi-nas-1315968

rdross80

Reputable
Sep 9, 2016
It's tempting to build my own, and something I'll think about. I'm no stranger to building a PC, but my last foray was such a headache, I was just hoping for a cheap, plug and play way to do it.