Animated Gif Avatar Max Filesize

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
I have resized a gif avatar I'd like to use for Tom's Hardware, it is 100 x 100 and about 1.04 MB in size, is this too large to be displayed properly or accepted? I don't want to go through the hour wait only to see that it doesn't work properly, I've already uploaded another avatar which is in the waiting time, but decided to go with a gif instead, but I need to ask if it will work prior, otherwise I will keep the one I just uploaded.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

P.S. This is what it looks like, but as previously stated, I resized it so it is now 100 x 100 and 1.04 MB

af2ef63ae3f3bcd56d8e802f14d836fa.jpg

our requirements certainly are 100x100. i am not aware of a file size limit although there certainly may be one.

be aware that since avatars get approved manually by us there is no set time before they appear.

all of my animated avatars have been under 50kb. i do know of some users with avatars a bit under 400kb though. again, i can not say if we have a cap or not just what i have seen.

at 100x100, that gif should be more around 670kb without any compression.

i did notice that the image you linked had a .jpeg tag on it not .gif. that could be causing some issues.

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
Ah, sorry for my delay in response, haven't logged in for a few days. Thanks for the responses. I used Photoshop to resize the image with the timeline tab, simply resizing to 100 x 100, Save for Web without transparency and no compression that I'm aware of,(I've extremely limited photo editing abilities.) and it came out to be 1.04 MB. I checked the one you linked ssddx, and it appears slightly compressed compared to mine in terms of quality, and is about 790 Kb in size, though of course the quality doesn't matter as much with a 100 x 100 gif.

And yes, I noticed the link has .jpg appended at the end, which is odd considering the actual file is .gif but labeled wrong. The file I have though came with the .gif extension, so I must've got it somewhere else than the exact image I linked.

I'll try both and report back whether or not they worked over the next couple days, thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Update: Just tried uploading, received this message, "Files over 683.59 Kb not allowed." Guess that answers my question then, I'll have to figure out how to compress it enough to squeeze it below 683 KB.

randomizer

Champion
That's a very specific file size. :heink:

There are at least three major "problems" with your GIF. One is that you haven't optimised it by throwing away data that hasn't changed between each frame (probably a 10-15% saving there). The second is that the quality of each frame is very high and you could probably reduce the colour palette. The third is that you just have too many frames. Take out every second frame, double the delay between frames, and you'll halve the file size without doing anything else. It won't be as smooth, but at 100x100 it will probably look better than one with double the frames and reduced colours. Do both and it should be much smaller.

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
Thanks for the response randomizer, I'll admit, I don't know how to change the delay between frames, and from my general idea of how to remove the duplicate frames, it sounds a little tedious but doable, I do however know how to reduce the amount of colors. As I said, I have next to no experience with editing photos, much less gifs, but am always willing to learn. I'll look into it some more, thank you.

[strike]send me a reminder via pm and i can take a look at it in imageready later on when i have time. changing frame delay and cutting out frames in imageready is easy. i know i'll forget about it since i'm reading this in the morning.[/strike]

edited.

Shaina11

Honorable
Apr 23, 2014
Oh wow, thanks for taking the time to do this ssddx, I really appreciate it. :D Sorry if I've been a bother, I need to look into image, specifically gif editing so I can take care of it myself next time, but again, arigato.

TRENDING THREADS