I7 2700k temperature

Herpderpi

Prominent
May 10, 2017
A long time back I heard that I could overclock. Since I kept having low FPS/FPS drops on a game I played I wanted to start getting into overclocking. I installed CoreTemp 1.7 and tested my temperatures:

1) Idle temp or doing anything apart from gaming = 30-40C
2) Gaming temp (Tera mostly, having terrible optimization) = 70-95C
3) Stress test temp = 90C+ (Didnt even want to try for to long because of how high it got)

I have had this CPU for a few years and it might have been the case that it had always been like this. I know that I probably should start worrying, but is there a way to see if I can get my heat lower?

PC Specs:
Intel I7 2700K with stock settings.
CX750M
STRIX-R9 380X Graphics card
MSI Z77a-G43

Screenshot while gaming:
8bIGYXD.png

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

Overclocking is recommended always that you have a good motherboard, in this case your MSI board is a basic one an voltage regulation is not good on it. In this case you will have high temps with this board that I would not recommend.

1) What cooler are you using? If you are in stock one, a new better cooler is the 1st step on this case.
2) Apply new thermal paste to the CPU, more if you change the cooler
3) How is the fan configuration in your case?

Herpderpi

Prominent
May 10, 2017

1) I am using a Corsair watercooler, not sure which one exactly.
2) I will try this next and post an update after.
3) My case has a big fan on the back and top, just the back one is doing work atm.

We could have a problem here, you have a fan taking the hot air from inside the case (exhaust fan) but you do not have any fan blowing fresh air inside the case. You need at least 1x120mm fan in front of your case to blow cold air inside your case.

I also suggest that you check inside your case if it is clean, with the pass of time the dust accumulates inside the case and components, that also affect temps and air flow.

Herpderpi

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I re-applied thermal paste and it started off in 20-30 idling and 75 max after stress. After about 10 minutes it went up to 50-60 idling and 80-90 stress again. Should I put more thermal paste in there or is it really my case? (I have no idea how to install another fan while having a watercooler an old friend built this)

EDIT: I just found out there is a front fan too that I never cleaned, I'll try cleaning that one before anything first

Herpderpi

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Thanks for everything, I found the solution! I am running on 50-60 Celsius playing games! I cleaned both my fans thoroughly which seemed to fix it. Im now sometimes getting a sound that sounds like bees zooming, it might be my fan so I'm going to check that out next.

Herpderpi

Prominent
May 10, 2017
Though the temperatures are fine now, I am hearing some sort of a crying/bee noise which I never heard before. This is only if I play intensive games, when im playing other games it doesn't do this. Is it still safe to play the game or should I worry, is there a simple way to fix this?

Herpderpi

Prominent
May 10, 2017

I am suspecting that my cpu fan (with radiator) is just way louder then before.. it is also an intake instead of an exhaust fan right now. Would changing it back to an exhaust fan reducde the sound or is it this loud because of all the dust I cleaned off?

CPU Fan sound: https://soundcloud.com/user-544889747/fan/s-e0CSO

TRENDING THREADS