2 gpus in 1 monitor

gary0001

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
Hi there.
My gaming rig is consisted from three gtx titansX in sli
So my question is...
In many cases that i dont use the pc for hardcore gaming for example just browsing is it possible to add a fourth mid range gpu to connect with my monitor which is an asus rog swift and not use the titans
I want to rest the titans and use the mid range card in one monitor in browsing cases for example...
Any suggestions??

Solution
You would have to turn off the computer, flip all the switches to off for the Titans and then unplug all the pci-e cables so the power supply doesn't send power to the cards.

Then when you want to us them again you would have to turn off the computer plug the power cables back in and flip all the switches to on.

Sounds like a bunch of wasted time and could cause issues from reaching your hand in and flipping switches and unplugging cables. You have the potential of bumping something or knocking something loose while fumbling inside the case.

Turning off sli would be the best option but I really don't see the need for it since the cards would still be powered just not fully being used.
The only way to "rest" your cards would be to turn off the power to the computer and pull them out of the computer. Otherwise there will always be power running through them and be doing little things in the background.

You could turn off sli when not gaming or doing anything intensive to try and not use the other 2 cards but they will still have power to them and putting heat into the case.

If your worried about longevity of the cards I wouldn't worry about it. I still have some GTX 8800 ultras running in computers so they are 10 years old

gary0001

Reputable
Nov 9, 2014
longevity is my main concern.
Right, so turning off or on the power of the titans would be required from the motherboards(asus) PCIe x16 swithes everytime I want to use or not the titans..
that's not very handy I may say...
I thing disabling sli is the right thing....
hypothetically speeking if I could turn the power off (from pcie swithes) every time I would like just to browse could a fourth mid range card be used with the monitor?
titans will be connected via displayport to the monitor and the midrange card via hdmi... is this possible? (remember one monitor)

You would have to turn off the computer, flip all the switches to off for the Titans and then unplug all the pci-e cables so the power supply doesn't send power to the cards.

Then when you want to us them again you would have to turn off the computer plug the power cables back in and flip all the switches to on.

Sounds like a bunch of wasted time and could cause issues from reaching your hand in and flipping switches and unplugging cables. You have the potential of bumping something or knocking something loose while fumbling inside the case.

Turning off sli would be the best option but I really don't see the need for it since the cards would still be powered just not fully being used.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS