Alibaba -- What the hell is that ?

MagicWolf

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015
Alright before i start -- this is not really a tech question but rather acquiring one and i will check the messages if there are any tomorrow!

I am really new to it & was wondering what's with the prices that they have put on display?

I really doubt that it is so bloody cheap even if you buy in big quantities.

Or is the shipping price even higher than the actual item ? Is that the only catch ?

Like for instance i saw multiple phones for less than $100 whilst in my country and many others it varies around $500.

I know It's China and all but these prices are insane compared to others like Aliexpress/Ebay and even Amazon.

Final question - Do i need to first contact the seller so we can agree on an actual price and the one on display means nothing? I know Alibaba is more for bulk buyers etc. but still...

Thank you,

E

Solution
Alibaba - Primarily a B2B site, not really for the consumer.
Those prices you see may only be available if you buy in lots of 1,000.
Part of the same corp as Aliexpress.

And of course, they may be complete knockoffs, and not the real deal.

USAFRet

Titan
Alibaba - Primarily a B2B site, not really for the consumer.
Those prices you see may only be available if you buy in lots of 1,000.
Part of the same corp as Aliexpress.

And of course, they may be complete knockoffs, and not the real deal.

Solution

MagicWolf

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Well i get that and i saw the huge quantities some sellers require in order to even place an order and i get that Alibaba is mostly for buyers that own companies and etc., but i also learned that it's no problem to buy even without a company etc., and for instance i saw a GTX 1080 / Min. Quantity Buy - 2 / Cost of each - $300. Should i believe that?

Even with the import tax/VAT and shipping fee into my country it would be way less than the actual prices here.

What's your opinion ? Should i try my luck or pass?

While Alibaba is the largest ecommerce store, it is also the largest scammers market in the world. It makes ebay looks as safe and trustworthy as your grandma's bake sale in comparison.

Anything at dirt cheap prices in quantities not defined in the thousands or per pallet is super super high probability of being a scam.

MagicWolf

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Well i get that and i saw the huge quantities some sellers require in order to even place an order and i get that Alibaba is mostly for buyers that own companies and etc., but i also learned that it's no problem to buy even without a company etc., and for instance i saw a GTX 1080 / Min. Quantity Buy - 2 / Cost of each - $300. Should i believe that?

Even with the import tax/VAT and shipping fee into my country it would be way less than the actual prices here.

What's your opinion ? Should i try my luck or pass?

MagicWolf

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

I kinda agree with you on that. But i will dig further, because Alibaba is being used by many people/companies so it's not all scam...

One of the products i saw - GTX 1080 / Min. Quantity Buy - 2 / Price $300 each. /

Should i buy and try my luck or just pass?

Im going to take a wild guess here and the seller wants you to pay in bank transfer, western union or bit coin or other payment that leaves you screwed when you either never get your GPUs, or you get a GT-610 with 1080 ti cooler/shroud half bolted or even glued to it.

MagicWolf

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

:D Well from the description i can see that they do accept PayPal which is obviously more secure but i'll think about what i'm going to do :D Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
And of course, whatever Customs duty and taxes may be applicable for whatever country you are in.

You have to take the whole transaction into account.

(and getting a GTZ-1079 for $300 is not really a deal :pt1cable: )

MagicWolf

Reputable
Jan 12, 2015

Yeah almost forgot them! But i think i just won't risk it... Most of them look so scammy... Pictures show some old Nvidia GPU's but title says 1080's...:lol:

Oh and believe me in my country it actually is so worth it :D Even when i apply all the other charges that come with buying internationally.

Good night,

E