Dlink DIR-816 wireless router problem (repeater mode)

Waleed_80

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I recently purchased D-Link DIR 816 AC750 Dual Band Router which i setup repater as above and it worked perfectly after a few hours or switch off the router and open it again it stopped working , I reset the router to factory default settings and then is reconfigured it and then it again worked perfectly for a few hours but then it stopped working again .

From what I have observed every time I reset the router and reconfigure it it works perfectly .

I request anybody who can help to help me in resolving this issue

Ralston18

Titan
Is the failure time consistent?

Are you sure that the IP lease time is not expiring via the main router?

After that I am going to suggest that the router is defective.

Heats up with use and then some component or connection inside fails.

Try using the router in a cooler location where it has plenty of air flow. See if the router stays operational for a longer period of time.

Also if the router has logs and the logs are enabled there may an error message therein that may help identify the problem.

Does the following link match your router?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1177385/D-Link-Dir-816.html#manual

If so, I did not note the availability of admin logs via the Table of Contents. Could be buried somewhere in the admin windows....

And the Troubleshooting section may be worth a look but your posted problem is unlikely to be addressed therein.

Waleed_80

Prominent
May 10, 2017

Is the failure time consistent?
no, some times after i switch off the dir 816 router for a minute or less
some times after i switch off the router for second time
some times after a day
i'm sure the problem isn't because hot or cold
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you sure that the IP lease time is not expiring via the main router?
yes, because i used the main router with d-link dap-1360 and worked perfectly all time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does the following link match your router?
yes exactly, and my router has not logs

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look at the power connections. Could be a loose connection, problematic wall outlet, power brick, bad power strip, etc... Snug enough to work most of the time but will lose the connection and drop power for just a moment or two.

As for the lease time be sure to go into the router and check/verify the lease time. But I will concede that that lease time is not likely to be the problem as the stoppages are random.

Intermittent problems can be tough to pin down. Do as much as you can to eliminate possibilities.

E.g., try using a temporary extension cord from another outlet. Change out any power cords that you can. One thing at a time. And try long enough to ensure that you have gone beyong the normal cycle of having a stoppage.

Then be as observant as possible.

What wireless frequency and channel are you using. Could be interference from another wireless source. Someone or something with a duplicate IP.

Install a Wifi analyzer on your wireless device. Use the analyzer to look for nearby wireless networks, the frequency and channels being used.

Waleed_80

Prominent
May 10, 2017

I tried to connect it with power supply (UPS), not solved.

I don't think the lease time is problem, because i do restart for the host router when the repeater is stopped and do restart also for repeater directly and not solved the problem so no problem in the lease time, also all devices connect to the host router easily after a lot of hours

I checked the frequency and channel and change them several times, not solved.
Also no nearby wireless networks

see will Shorten time and telling you something
I found many people have same problem and i didn't find clearly solutions
just found this unexplained solution quoted above
Can you explain to me what does BSDC mean and how to do it in detail (if you know)?

Ralston18

Titan
For some reason I am not seeing BSDC's original post.

MAC - is an acronym for Media Access Control or MAC Address.

Used to provide a unique identifier for network devices.

For more informations and detail: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Cloning a MAC has its purposes but will not endorse the suggested action without more information including context and details.

Hopefully someone else following your post will be able to comment further.

Waleed_80

Prominent
May 10, 2017
I meant how to apply it in host router and repeater router,

this link for BSDC's original post

www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2942341/dlink-dir-816-wireless-router-problem.html

Tm____

Prominent
Jun 1, 2017
I am with me the same problem has gone to the company for more than a week and changed it to a new one and lost the same problem and discovered the solution by chance solution is the option of the channel puts Channel 11 in the two systems

thatsmejyo

Prominent
Sep 20, 2017

Hi,
You have to just update the firmware to fix the issue. D'link gives a new firmware update of 1.06 when we contact them via customer care. Do the update only via wired connection(ethernet). It fixed the issue for me.

nashi.nashid27

Prominent
Dec 23, 2017