I need help with choosing my Monitor.

haloxhawk

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
Hi,

So I am a competitive gamer, Mainly playing COD and Counter strike. I compete in ESL and Cevo. I'm looking at purchasing a new monitor but I am horrible at picking. I am looking at getting a 144hz 27" monitor. I am on a bit of a tight budget of around 550euro max. I seen the Asus MG279 IPS 144hz 27" monitor for 500euro but it was a free sync monitor and I need a G -sync monitor. Well that's that I have been told because I have an NVIDIA GPU (GTX 970) . I am from Ireland so the monitors tend to be over priced. Any help would be much appreciated. I have seen few other threads with a similar question but, The ones I have seen don't seem to help me out much.

Solution
You don't NEED g-sync at all .
If you want to run a 144 htz screen then just set a 144fps framecap with rivatuner & leave vsync completely disabled.

Want to run above 144fps ?? You'll get screen tearing whether a monitor is freesync/gsync or neither .
Gsync only comes into play below the monitors max native refresh rate.

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017
I know u dont like the british ;) but try overclockersuk I bought from them in europe. As for a freesync for 500 euro? Asus Sammy or Viewsonic with 1ms and 10000000 to 1 contrast ratio 144 hz maybe even 240 you can do with that budget

Btw CS? old school or GO? What team you play for? I was into all that back in 02 with old school clans.

haloxhawk

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015
Hi,

@Dayzik I am not good with monitors so I am not sure if I even need a G sync monitor. That's why I'm here ahaha. Also CS:GO. I am the leader of MSK. We are a new Irish team trying to work our way up. I have had a look on Overclockersuk but they seem to be pretty expensive due to the exchange rate etc.

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017

Thats weird I found them to have cheaper prices in UK pounds when I compared to US dollars, I got a 6950 for 50 dolla cheaper in england then the US.

Hmm maybe they tax the eirie moe? lol damn the jolly queen!!! Uhh try sending to Belfast maybe? ;)

haloxhawk

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

Hey,

So would you recommend me getting the Asus monitor I posted above for 500?

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017
I dont see a link, but yeah forget about freesync its only for AMD u have a 9xx card can only use Gsync

BUT freesync is the better of two hence free, all i needs is displayport, while gsync monitors need extra hardware hence pricier monitor

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3129276/components-graphics/why-amd-freesync-is-beating-nvidia-g-sync-on-monitor-selection-and-price.html

Now thing is a lot of u pros lower details and rez to min to get +300 fps and turn Vsync off (old method) this creates screen tearing, how u guys tolorate this is beyond me, I was semi pro and cant stand tearing always have vsync on. Now for vsync or gsync or freesync on and you want 3 digit fps numbers you need a 240 hz monitor, with that budget I think you can do 240 hz gsync, I know freesync for sure you can but since Gsync is more expensive MAYBE

You don't NEED g-sync at all .
If you want to run a 144 htz screen then just set a 144fps framecap with rivatuner & leave vsync completely disabled.

Want to run above 144fps ?? You'll get screen tearing whether a monitor is freesync/gsync or neither .
Gsync only comes into play below the monitors max native refresh rate.

Solution

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017

Capping fps max will NOT eliminate tearing, Ill bet you money this I know from experience.....
Even adaptive vsync still has tearing only true vsnc does that, the drawback is you need tripple buffering so fps doesnt say drop to 44 when its below 60.... G or Free sync eliminate the need for tripple buffering, and freesync will run with max native refresh rate

haloxhawk

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

People have complained about the picture/color quality on that monitor so I have driven away from it.

haloxhawk

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

I'm afraid that's in dollars. If I price one in Ireland it goes to way over 600

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017

Huh? The euro is woth more then the dollar right now 600 dollar should be around 570 euro if not mistaken

haloxhawk

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

Hey,

We tend to pay more for computer parts in the EU. I usually need to order from the UK or somewhere in the Netherlands.
It cost around 500pound which is equivalent to around the 600euro mark.

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017
GUess its changed, I was there 7 years ago like I said and got a video card for 50 dollars cheaper then it would have cost in US.

Ohh well, hey wait for next gaming check and spend more, if your pro dont skimp especially on monitor.
Heh I think I heard of MSK, dont know too many new clans except for NiP which exist from my times, heck im old like Get_right :D

Used to play CAL and OGL a bit, was a n00b team, coulda went further with a btter team but never bothered hehe

Are you actually NI OR EIRE ??

What are you really looking for here mate , your initial choice was a 1440p 144htz 27 inch ips .
Gsync or not those panels carry a big premium .

What's more important here to you ??

Obviously 144htz goes without saying but the rest doesn't because you've shown interest in a lot of different choices regarding size & resolution

0ldsch00l

Notable
May 9, 2017

CSGO pros usually play at low rez so he doesnt need 1440p I guess, but the 240 hz refresh rate I stick by 100%

haloxhawk

Reputable
Jun 5, 2015

The most important part to me is that its 144hz. The reason Why I added the above monitor is because there was one going for 500euro and it looked good to me. As long as its 24" or higher, 1080p and has a good enough response time. Picture and color quality as well but that goes without saying also. I am also EIRE. Not Northen Ireland