Need help diagnosing Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L start-up problem

valkata002

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Hello,

I recently decided to build a budget PC for my dad which he will use for internet browsing and movies. I had a really good offer for a second hand Intel Core2 Duo E8400 wich would be excellent for what this PC is intended for, considering that I plan not to put a GPU in that system. I accepted the offer and began looking for a motherboard. The best solution I found was a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L rev 1x. I got that and 2 sticks of 1gb ddr2 667 Mhz memory. But when I finally recieved everything and had it set up the PC would start, fans spinning on the CPU and PSU, but nothing more than that. My monitor wouldn't even turn on. I tried everything - removing 1 stick of ram, swapped PSUs, clearing CMOS, I put a speaker in the motherboard and no beeps, checked for bent pins - none. I was empty of ideas so I gave the CPU to a friend to try it on his setup to see if it worked and it did. Please help me solve my problem because my dad's birthday is on the 30th of May and it would be great to have the PC working on time.

Here is the full list of specs:

CPU - Intel Core2 Duo E8400 @ 3.00Ghz (stock)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L rev1x
RAM: 2x1gb ddr2 667 MHz
PSUs: 400w and 450w (Im 99% sure that both work)
HDD: None - haven't bought one yet, still the PC is supposed to start up without it

Thanks.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You might try removing the motherboard and checking to be sure you don't have an unused standoff (one that is not needed) behind the board. It may be grounding out the traces on the back of the board.

While the board is out of the case, breadboard it. Lay it on an insulated surface, install the CPU/cooler, and one stick of RAM in the first slot. Connect just what you need to get the board to post; PSU, KB, monitor to iGPU... start it by momentarily shorting the two pins that the case's start button would connect to. See if it produces a display.

valkata002

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

Well I tried breadboarding already and nothing diffrent happens. I had a friend told me the other day that some ram is only compatible with AMD CPUs. Im afraid I might have bought one. What's the case with that? Thanks for the quick and kind reply tough.