Whats Your Opinions And Suggestions On This Build

The Shadow Rose

Honorable
May 4, 2017
I have been thinking of making my own computer recently and i was just wondering what you thought of it in general and anything i could add or improve to it since i have never made my own before.

Case: Im considering these 3 but to be honest im not sure what would be best or if there is a better option. Ideally i want the best cooling possible although i am a bit shallow and want a bit of a cool looking case as well. Im also debating on water cooling but since i never had a computer with it i have no clue if its a good idea or not.

Thermaltake Versa N24 Mid-Tower Chassis
Thermaltake Versa H23 Mid-Tower Chassis
Thermaltake Chaser MK-I

Motherboard - Undecided - I honestly have no clue what would be the best one for my build so im hoping someone has good suggestions.

Processor - Amd Ryzen 8 core - Ideally i want this since its the newest 8 core amd line to my knowledge but i might start with the 8350 8 core since its far cheaper then the ryzen and then get this later, Why no intel you ask? Cause im not paying 1.2 grand for an 8 core processor. Dont get me wrong intel is great but i dont have the money to go that extreme.

Ram - 32 Gb minimum but im debating on 64 gigs - That being said i don't really see the advantage of hitting 64 so a 32 gb motherboard would be fine.

Graphics card - Nvidia Gtx 1080 - If one comes out better then the titan by a noticeable amount in the following years i will probably get that but think of this computer having a 8 - 12 gb card.

Storage 1 Tb - Im fine with a single terabyte hard drive but i dont mind getting a 2 tb if i see a cheapish one. I doubt ill get more then one hard drive total though.

Sound Card - I dont have the slightest clue what is considered as good here.

Am i missing anything important or you guys have any suggestions for me?

Also as a minor note im going to try to get all of this for under or close to a grand if possible since im a bit cheap.

Edit - Sorry forgot to mention its going to be for gaming mainly.

what's the purpose of this build if I may ask?
that will shape potential suggestions quite a bit...

The Shadow Rose

Honorable
May 4, 2017
Oh right i forgot to mention it will mainly be for gaming.

Trying to make one that will last a few years before i need to upgrade to much.

okay, then don't go for an Octacore, especially not for a FX8000series since newer pentiums outperform them by now. also your CPU will be long obsolete before games really profit off a 8core/16threads CPU
furthermore 32GB is a bit overkill. there's no game that even needs 16GB as of today.

the thing is: budget. factoring in everything you've said and wanted, I come close to 1000$ before storage
- you'll need a good quality PSU especially if you want to "futureproof"
- you'd want a Ryzen 1600, or at least a 1500X
- a 1080 simply takes up almost half your budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($202.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M GAMING PRO Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($78.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: GeIL - SUPER LUCE 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($489.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H23 ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1009.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-11 20:10 EDT-0400

one can save a few bucks here and there, but nowhere nearly enough to fit in a sensible storage solution.
I'd never build a computer without a quality SSD, which adds 90$ + a HDD adds another 50$

The Shadow Rose

Honorable
May 4, 2017
Hmm. Theres no hard price limit but keeping it to 1k is what i wanted but that being said 1.1 or 1.2ishk was also acceptable and also why did you pick that case over the other 2? The n24 only costs $59 and has better cooling unless im missing something. The chaser is also made for water cooling although that one isnt cheap.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Chassis/Mid_Tower_/Versa/... Unless im missing something.

I can still probably get an 8 core ryzen off of ebay for 200 - 300 so i don't really see why i shouldn't get 8 cores. I can see why more cores are not really needed but since they cost about the same there's no reason not to right?

That being said does that motherboard do the 8 core ryzens to including the higher end r5s and r7s or just the lower ones? Oh and i really didnt expect the 550 watt power supply. I thought it would take like 850 watts or even 1000 to run an 8 gb card.

What case would you recommend as a good one for cooling?

Thanks for the help!

yeah well keeping it as close to 1k as possible I went with the cheapest case.
personally, I can't stand any of them, but if you dig them...
at the price of a Chaser Mk I there are better cases out there
as a general rule of thumb, every case below 40$ is usually crap
most cases between 40-80$ are acceptable (especially if they come from reputable brands)
above 80$ is where the good cases are starting, above 170$ the cases are special purpose but not worth the money in 99% of the cases
I think our tastes differ a bit, I'd probably go for a In Win 703/503, a Phanteks Enthoo M or P400S or a NZXT Phantom 410, Fractal Design R5 or Define, Thermaltake Suppressor or a be quiet! Silent Base

VRAM barely needs more power than RAM. and RAM needs almost no power.
the 1080 doesn't need more than 280W tops, 550W is more than enough for a card like that if you get a quality unit, which the G3 certainly is.

made an ebay-search, you can indeed get a 1700X for a little over 300$.
which still is 100$ more than a 1600. IMO a 6 core is all you need for future proofing. you gotta remember, the best gaming CPU currently out is the i7-7700k, which is in fact a 4-core with hyperthreading to 8 threads, while an i5 with 4 cores and 4 threads is considered still potent. so a 6 core with 12 threads is what the future beholds. a 8 core with 16 threads is great for video editing and rendering, for gaming you will realistically don't really see a difference. If you take a look at gaming benchmarks, they usually put out the same fps (1600X vs. 1700X), sometimes one trailing the other by merely 1 frame.

It’s also interesting the extra two cores of the almost-identical Ryzen 7 1800X make almost no difference in gaming terms. The performance delta between the two processors is negligible, even with the 1800X running in a pricier X370 and the 1600X in a B350 motherboard. I’d advise any gamer to steer clear of the octa-cores, save themselves some cash and put their sights on the Ryzen 5 1600X instead.
- pcgamesn.com

The Shadow Rose

Honorable
May 4, 2017

Alas i just cant get into intel processors because of their extreme cost compared to amds. Also what do you think of this case? I can see why the cheaper ones are not really worth it now. Im fine with spending more on a case personally. I actually really liked the NZXT Phantom 410 and was down to it and this one but picked this one cause it was bigger. Which one do you think i should get?

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YwVBD3/nzxt-case-can450ww1

Last question is the motherboard. If you had a choice for this build which one would you pick when not limited by cost but not going to overboard? The more im looking at my pc limit im realizing i would actually rather spend more money if im going for a grand or so and get better then budget parts.

Also thanks for all the help again and sorry for all the questions. I never made my own before and i tend to ask a lot of stuff to be sure of things.

the Noctis is a nice case. I find it a bit expensive personally. but it is nice.

I like the ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 & the Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3
but I might be a bit biased there...

The Shadow Rose

Honorable
May 4, 2017

Awesome. Thanks again for all the help. Any last suggestions for me before i go on my way to build this?