Creators Update - Start menu icons missing/random icon pictures.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
I've just re-encountered the issue where user installed apps icons in the start menu either disappear or have random pictures as their icons, normally these are yellow folders... Difference this time being that this is a clean installation of Windows 1703 just 3 days old rather than an upgrade. Seems odd for a clean installation, but then again version 1703 is relatively fresh perhaps still with minor issues... Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm trying to work out whether the issue lies in Windows itself or instead any particular system changes I've made...

Win_1703_start_menu_icons_issue.png

Solution
this only works for default apps
1. Go to Apps & features > search for every default app one at a time. They are Maps, Groove Music, Photos, and Films & TV.
2. Once you’ve located the app, click on Advanced options.
3. Select Reset and confirm.

This action may delete data stored on your computer. Keep in mind that the apps and live tiles may need to reconfigure themselves when you first launch them again.

The reset does affect the individual app settings. Don’t forget to reopen Maps and grant location access and set a default location in case you rely on those features. Also, check the Mail app to see if your account is still working.

It appears that this issue with the Windows 10 default app icons occurs only on computers that...

Colif

Win 11 Master

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
No the app icons on the right side are fine, I just cut that area from the screenshot to show the start menu only... It seems to just be the icons to the user installed apps which is really just the yellow folder icon, the Windows pre-installed app icons aren't affected. I've tried rebuilding the icon cache as suggested but will need some time to tell whether it may have fixed it, as the issue with the icons isn't constant but appears randomly.

Normal start menu - yellow folder for user apps:

Normal_start_menu.png

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Yeah, everything looks normal in file explorer so just the start menu it seems. All of the problems, I feel so lucky! lol. I show up in first spot google search for this issue and can't find any other reports but similar type of issues have been reported, like text missing in the app icons to the right side of the start menu. I think I'll report this on the feedback hub, I've hardly installed any programs so the OS is pretty new and clean, could be an issue with Windows itself rather than a software conflict or something?

Colif

Win 11 Master
try s clean boot, that will remove all non Microsoft programs and tell you - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows. it could be a start up program.

Curious where its getting images from, not all user installed folders have the same folder type, some have the image of app on them. But all the ones that changed above are using same picture.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
So enable startup programs one by one and check?

I noticed once it was using one of my screenshot images, the one above looks to be something Microsoft but I can't make it out.

Edit: Actually the image it's using above is an avatar image from the xbox app.

Colif

Win 11 Master

yes

that is very random.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
Update: Icons occasionally still seem to be changing to random pictures after icon cache rebuild yesterday, but now it's actually repairing itself without intervention or restart. About half an hour later the icons had restored themselves... There seems to be a pattern in that it's using images from anything in the start menu...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Wonder if its syncing profiles or something. Go to settings/accounts/sync your settings
turn it all off or just themes

I found it was resetting my desktop wallpaper to 1080p when i have 4k, not useful

it doesn't work on local accounts so don't bother if you have one of these.

milosk

Prominent
May 24, 2017
The same happens to me. Could it be because I unpinned the placeholders saying "A great app is on its way!" before going online after the clean install of CU and so never downloaded those sponsor apps that are supposed to install without the user consent?

Untitled.png

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
@milosk Glad to know I'm not alone, although I have noticed the icons disappear in at least the last week. Unfortunately I can't think of any system changes I've made that might have changed that, and I can't conclusively say that it still isn't happening.

How long as your clean installation been active? What is the placeholders saying "A great app is on its way!" your referring to?

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried opening store and seeing if any updates there?

might be related: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1304900-windows-10-1607-now-picks-random-applications-to-install/

did you make feedback on the windows app? did you post it on tenforums?

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015
When I initially only done the upgrade I tried a new user and it did occur on the new user account also, then the behavior continued again with a clean installation.

I noticed once, that the icons disappeared and restored themselves in the same session i.e. no restart. Because I'm not constantly in the start menu perhaps that is still happening but I haven't seen this again in probably a week now...

I'm seeing lot's of user permission issues in this build, it could be a lot of apps need to update compatibility with the new build, I'm seeing quite a few issues. Slightly off main topic but hey.

Colif

Win 11 Master
this only works for default apps
1. Go to Apps & features > search for every default app one at a time. They are Maps, Groove Music, Photos, and Films & TV.
2. Once you’ve located the app, click on Advanced options.
3. Select Reset and confirm.

This action may delete data stored on your computer. Keep in mind that the apps and live tiles may need to reconfigure themselves when you first launch them again.

The reset does affect the individual app settings. Don’t forget to reopen Maps and grant location access and set a default location in case you rely on those features. Also, check the Mail app to see if your account is still working.

It appears that this issue with the Windows 10 default app icons occurs only on computers that upgraded from the Anniversary Update OS to Windows 10 Creators Update. Insiders report that they haven’t encountered this problem.

http://windowsreport.com/restore-default-app-icons-creators-update/

If you go to System > Advanced System Settings > Performance >Settings

You should see the option for "Show thumbnails instead of icons."

Click to enable.

A quick reboot and a few minutes, you should see the Windows Store icons reappear. At least this was the fix for me.
https://superuser.com/questions/1085605/windows-metro-apps-have-wrong-icon-in-search-ui

Speculation time - I think its tied into store apps. Its like MS need to reset your downloads or something. I have no idea what would fix it, it sounds like something they need to do their end.

tried the windows Store Apps troubleshooter? its hiding in settings/update & security/troubleshoot. I bet MS would suggest it if you ask them.

some suggestions here might help - https://superuser.com/questions/952345/wrong-icons-displayed-in-windows-10

Solution