Core i7-7700 or 7700k?

Mahir_1

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
Should I get the 7700k for a higher price? I want to make sure that I only have to change the GPU for like 5 years. I'm buying this for gaming. Or would the 1151 platform become obsolete for incompatibility with some weird stuff and become obsolete despite still being a decent performer?
PS : I'm not going to overclock it

gaborbarla

Distinguished

I think have a look at this: http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-7700/3647vs3887

In general the K is faster and boosts faster out of the box. I think you must go for the K. I have a non K 3770 and I had it since 2013 and regretted it. The that extra 14% is worth the money and if you get a good cooler it goes even higher than that.

danielthegreate

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
I would buy the 7700k over the 7700 regardless of overclocking, I think it is worth the extra few dollars for these reasons:
At stock clocks, the 7700k boosts all cores to 4.4ghz and one core to 4.5, as opposed to the 7700 which only boosts to 4ghz on all cores and 4.2 one core. So the 7700k is still faster by at least 10%. Also, the 7700k is binned, which means that it is simply the better silicon.

The stock cooler in the 7700 isn't really that good, it revs up and people have been reporting temps up to 94c with the stock cooler, so you would buy a budget cooler like the hyper 212 or Cryorig m9i anyway, which work for the 7700k at the stock clock just fine, you don't need a more expensive cooler if you want to run the 7700k on stock, these budget coolers run at or below 70c full load at stock and are very quiet too.

The only case I would go for the 7700 over the 7700k is if you are on a tight budget and want to save that few dollars to spend on a better GPU.

Every couple of years, usually, Intel changes the socket completely. The 7xxx series CPUs will be End-of-Lined (end of new production) next year when the new model replacing Kaby-Lake is released. Socket 1151 is in its second year. Don't let that be a deterrent, as this happens all the time. Functionally, the i7-7700 or i7-7700k will be viable for probably at least five years, regardless of which one you go with.

As to graphics, PCIe 4 should be just around the corner. No worries though as more than likely they will be backwards compatible with PCIe 3 cards or slots as older PCIe 2 and PCIe-1 cards are with PCIe-3. The only way a "weird stuff" event that would prevent it to happen, would require a major shift in design and construction at the root level for every component of the PC.

As to which one to get:

i7-7700k if you plan on overclocking, OR you just want the faster clock. You'll need a cooler (an extra expense. If you plan on overclocking that expense tends to grow with the need for better cooling)

i7-7700 if you don't care about overclocking or the extra base speed and/or you want to save some money. This one comes with an adequate cooling solution (if not noisier than most after-market coolers) and a lower price tag. You are NOT required to buy another cooler to get your computer up and running.

If you do go for another cooler (either by choice or by requirement) There are better coolers than the hyper 212 EVO within the same price range.... The Cryorig H7 and DeepCool Gammaxx 400 come to mind.

Spring1898

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Shrapnel gives great advice.
The only thing i would add is that if you are intent on keeping this rig for a long while then the 7700k is worth the extra investment. Kaby lake overclocks well (with proper cooling and delidding). You can squeeze almost an extra 10% in clock speed on most chips. Which means when your system gets older you can keep it relevant through overclocks.
Haswell is a great example of this going on 4 years thanks to the decent overclocking and relative lack of ipc improvements in subsequent generations.

You don't have to overclock right away either but you always have the option with the 7700k

5 years is a little long in my opinion but doable. Ivy bridge is showing its age, but many people still use it. The bigger difference will likely be new tech in later chipssts that skylake won't support.

nonsleeper

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

He is wrong on one point though, the coolert in i7 7700 box is loud and inadequate. Kaby lake is hot, i7 7700 goes up to 95c with the box cooler. The most annoying thing is that there are temperature spikes and the fan suddenly speeds up and slows down. The box cooler is fine for the i5 range, but for the i7 if you want to keep it for longer than warranty period (which is only 3 years) and you don't want jet engine noise in your pc, you should buy a basic cooler anyway. I bought the deepcool GAMMAXX 300 for 19$ and it went right down to 67c, quiet too.

Spring1898

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
That may be important depending on his ambient temperature.
Personally i would always go with an aftermarket cooler, but even improved thermal paste can make a difference, but that also costs money

Mahir_1

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

Than you :) I'll get the 7700k. None of these coolers are available where I live though. Will a Deepcool Maelstorom 120T or Corsair Hydro H45 suffice? These are the only coolers available in this price range from reputable brands here

I'm not familiar enough with those coolers to say for certain. Although many will say when you talk 120mm or 140mm class AiO cooling solutions, you can usually get better with traditional HSF (heastsink-fan) tech.

If you got the funds, and they are available, the Scythe Kotetsu (medium) or FUMA (large) are excellent choices too, So is the Arctic Freezer i32 (medium)

* (large) (medium) - referring to general size.