Best way to clean re-install OS (Win 10) on an SSD?

Shauna333

Honorable
Mar 1, 2016
I'm using a 525GB Crucial Mx300 SSD that already has Windows 10 on it. I'm trying to clean re-install Windows 10 (suspected driver problems) and want to know what the best way to do it is.

Can I reinstall through Windows Settings > Recovery > Reset This PC ?

or Should I use a Windows 10 ISO USB to re-install? If I use this method do I just boot from USB with everything still on my SSD? I believe through the installation process, I'll be able to format my SSD, but I want to double check if that's the case.
Thanks

Solution
There are different options when you reset, You can:
a) keep files and settings - Files include the library folders that come with windows, so Documents, music, pictures, movies but not downloads. Settings include logins and desktop settings
b) Wipe it all - this deletes everything and reinstals win 10 as if its first day you using it. Don't need to activate PC

Both forms of reset will delete all your drivers, they also only effect C drive so if you have other partitions on the hdd, they will still exist after the reset

If PC is a brand name, there might be a 3rd choice - C) Factory reset. This will take PC back to how it was right from factory, might take you too far back (win 7 or 8) - its different to first 2 as it will delete...

USAFRet

Titan
During the install process, you can wipe and reinstall.
When it asks where to install, select Custom.
You will be presented with a list of all existing partitions.

Delete All of them, and let the OS use that whole space, creating what it needs.

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are different options when you reset, You can:
a) keep files and settings - Files include the library folders that come with windows, so Documents, music, pictures, movies but not downloads. Settings include logins and desktop settings
b) Wipe it all - this deletes everything and reinstals win 10 as if its first day you using it. Don't need to activate PC

Both forms of reset will delete all your drivers, they also only effect C drive so if you have other partitions on the hdd, they will still exist after the reset

If PC is a brand name, there might be a 3rd choice - C) Factory reset. This will take PC back to how it was right from factory, might take you too far back (win 7 or 8) - its different to first 2 as it will delete everything on drive.

A fresh install is like a full reset except you can wipe all the hard drive partitions - here is a handy guide to a clean install - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

Its up to you, they all delete drivers so if you just want to clean them, do a reset of either variety

Solution