Can the Ransomware virus locks the computer so you cant even format it and start over again ?

Yusuf Il

Honorable
Aug 16, 2014
I know that virus can locks the files on your computer
but can it also locks the
for example the bios so you will never be able to use the computer again ?

Solution
A specific ransomware virus? Probably not.
They want you to be able to access the system, and then give them money to hopefully unlock your encrypted files.
A fully bricked system does them no good.

A whole different virus? Possibly.

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
some ransomware will encript your personal files, so you can't open them

usually if you format hard disk, you should be able to start from clean, but you will loose your files

i havent seen a tool to lock a bios

could theoretically try to wipe any password put on the bios but i don't know if can do any harm, modification to the bios, i would say that it is doable but too complex, too hard to really do it

format hard disk and you should be fine, if you have doubts, update bios on the pc before reinstalling windows and keep a good antivirus

USAFRet

Titan
A specific ransomware virus? Probably not.
They want you to be able to access the system, and then give them money to hopefully unlock your encrypted files.
A fully bricked system does them no good.

A whole different virus? Possibly.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know what it can do as I am trying to avoid having to deal with it by not opening anything silly, not downloading anything unless its from a reliable source, and making sure AV is up to date.

in theory a virus could infect the UEFI and stop you doing anything with PC but hopefully they aren't to that level yet. I don't want to concern you.