What ram will fit?

Rick_Sanchez

Prominent
May 5, 2017
Motherboard is:
ASRock H71M-DGS
I have one 4gb ram stick which is from the little ones (The ones without the space between the black squares btw sorry im not an expert lol).
It says my mobo is supporting udimm. So i was wondering which ram stick do i need?

The system supports standard (unbuffered = UDIMM) DDR3 memory modules.

But not all DDR3 memory will be compatible due to the type of memory chips (black squares) used on some of the memory modules.

Here are lists of system compatible DDR3 memory modules -

H71M-DGS motherboard tested memory

Kingston memory from their website

Transcend memory from their website

G.Skill memory from their website

As can be seen, there are quite a few compatible DDR3 memory modules for the H71M-DGS motherboard.

For maximum performance and compatibility, it is suggested that a dual channel kit be bought to replace the existing 4 GB module. The existing 4 GB module could be kept as backup or sold. A dual channel kit contains two memory modules which have been tested for compatibility and guaranteed for compatibility between each other.

Suggest either a 2 x 4 GB dual channel kit, or a 2 x 8 GB dual channel kit. A 2 x 4 GB dual channel kit would probably be sufficient for most tasks and for some gaming as well. But if into video editing, graphics work, heavy gaming etc, then a 2 x 8 GB dual channel kit might be the better choice.

Note that the motherboard supports up to 1333 MHz memory natively without any overclocking. Memory installed that is rated higher than 1333 MHz will automatically be downclocked to 1333 MHz to match system compatibility.

Both links are for the same memory part number KVR16N11S8/4.

If you look at the list of compatible Kingston memory linked above, you will find that memory part number KVR16N11S8/4 is compatible with the motherboard. HOWEVER! This Kingston module may or may not be compatible with the existing 4 GB module, due to module characteristics variations. The only way to be sure is to try it. But be prepared to try several other modules in case the Kingston 4 GB module is found to be incompatible with the existing 4 GB module.

This is the main reason why dual channel kits are suggested instead, as the kit modules are guaranteed to be compatible with each other.