Creators update freezing problems. Please help me.

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016
i7-4790 non k
Evga gtx 1070 ftw
corsair gold psu 850w
MSI krait z97 motherboard
16gb gksill ram 1600mhz
SSD has the os on it
I only use avast for my anti virus software

Those are my specs. I have been using windows 10 for quite a while, a year almost and I loved it, but this past week, all hell broke loose in ways I have not seen before. After updating to the creators update (What could go wrong right?), the os would randomly freeze and I mean random. It could be 10 minutes or 10 hours or sometimes not for 3 days, the OS would just freeze, I could click on things, but nothing would happen, I try to open task manager and it doesnt open and I couldn't shut down my computer without a force reboot because it would just hang.

I tried everything under the sun to fix whatever was wrong, from scanning for malware and finding nothing, uninstalling and reinstalling my gpu drivers, to scanning everything under the sun to make sure my equipment was alright and had no errors or bad sectors (My stuff was perfectly fine).

I decided ok ill try to reinstall windows and trying to rollback did nothing to help. Windows 10 would not let me reinstall, it kept giving me errors and telling me it could not do this and that. I said screw I will reinstall windows 7, but of course microsoft made it so you can't roll back so long as you are already in windows 10. After being on the phone for an hour with microsoft lead to nothing, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I used DBAN (I think its called) and nuked my hard drives and now I am back on windows 7.

I already miss windows 10 and I wanted to know if anyone can shed light on how to fix this when I go back to windows 10. Please help me because I miss windows 10 already and as much as I love windows 7, i'd luck to go back soon.

ty

Saiyan32

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
you are not alone out there....
After I had updated to creators update the day after release at 11 april 2017 ...  update went through well with no apparent problem ( updated through upgrade assistant) i also liked the new features :) .... but almost 1 month of use after... I noticed my pny cs1311 240 GB ssd was showing performance issue..... not by that much  but noticeable...but the most dangerous problem was it flickered occasionally ....

i had this issue when updating from build 10.0240 to 14.393.0 ... you wont believe my write speed was about 79 MB/s instead 500 MB/s .... and 10 MB/s random write .... I was shocked to see this.... researched about it and found that it was microsoft SATA AHCI driver that was causing the problem( maybe it raised incompatibility issue beacuse of change in build version or driver not installed properly ).... and someone told me that uninstalling the driver from the device manager and restart will solve the problem and it did....  

Also this time I thought it again happened since moving from anniversary to creators update.... but this time...this isn't the case..... in fact i am now sure about this to the driver issue as my ssd speed has restored to normal ..... after installing all my big apps and stuff again

so i just had to roll back to anniversary update (fresh install) ... i was very annoyed at this since i had to install all my big programs again..... i had to write quite unnecessarily another 100 GB into the ssd  .... very annoyed at microsoft........... 

However HOW COME YOUR REINSTALL DIDN"T WORK??? Did you try to reset your pc?...because if it was a fresh install from usb drive... then It should have worked.....

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016

I am not ready to count my chickens yet but so far so good with upgrading back to 10 yesterday, though I'm on version 1703 and believe me I am very scared.

Whenever I tried to reinstall from my usb, 3 different ISO versions of windows 10, without fail it said something went wrong and it failed with no error message and even the event viewer was no help. In all my years of using windows and dealing with computers (I'm trying to go into the IT field mind you), this was the weirdest I ever encountered.

Saiyan32

Reputable
Oct 22, 2016
really weird.....but your possible failure to install windows maybe---
1.this could be that iso files are corrupted.... (huge coincidence)
2.at time of making bootable usb ...something went wrong.... (assuming you are using rufus)
3.Flash drive or usb drive problem..

as you said you went back to windows 10 build 1703.... be very careful from now on..because if it was hard drive...then ok...write as much as you want... (not fully true though)...for ssd...this is a big factor.... you gotta handle your ssd and be very careful ... anytime type of problem arises like happened with me..... would result in reinstalling... and more more writes to the ssd.... which it will not like.............that's why I am at 1607 latest ...and no intention of going to Creators update anytime soon.... gd luck ...

Arbiter051

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2016

I don't think my ISO file is corrupted because it worked when I upgraded back from windows 7. I know my hard drive is very healthy so I know it was windows 10 that was the problem, at least that's what I came to after all I tested and did haha

I had no choice but to upgrade back to 1703 sadly but yes cross my fingers is all I can do :)

TRENDING THREADS