SLI 980s 100% GPU usage on both but poor FPS performance. Was never like this

OGSirbe

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
i7 4790k SLI MSI 980s 32g ddr3 2 x 1440p monitors

So recently I had to switch around some output cables and I am currently using 2 monitors. One is connected via Displayport and the other (primary) is HDMI. I just switched out these cables today because my other dual link DVI cable seemed old and was giving me troubles. Before this cable switch I was able to run AAA high end games like Witcher 3 and DOOM at 60 fps on Ultra/High settings without any issue and my gpu usage was a reasonable percent (not high enough to cause concern). And I was able to stream these games and/or watch streams while playing these games with no performance issues.

Now after this cable switch, I seem to be experiencing poor performance but with my GPUs running at 100% usage. Such that, those same games (witcher 3 and DOOM) are running sluggish with poor FPS. I assumed it was the graphics settings but even when I put the games to low settings, both GPU usage was at 100% and the fps was only at 45ish.

Now I know people say that these games are graphically demanding and I should expect this. Well like I said, I was running them buttery smooth before and now all of a sudden they are running like crap. I tried playing Overwatch to see if I have the same issue.... not having the same issue. OW is running on Ultra at 60 fps with gpu usage steady at 35-45% on both. I have been monitoring all of my other resources... CPU seems to have normal usage, my RAM usage seems to have normal usage, my disk usage seems to be a little high but I'm not too sure what that means tbh. I honestly can't think of what would cause this. I have a new DVI D cable as well, so I switched out the Display port for this new DVI D and the issue still persists, so I can't believe that a simple cable switch would cause this strange FPS drop and skyrocketing GPU usage.
Any help is appreciated.... Kinda freaking out here :)

OGSirbe

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

OGSirbe

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015
I have my DVI D and my hdmi cord plugged into my 1st GPU. Nothing plugged into 2nd or Mono. I'm starting to believe it's not a cord issue. I have used all my combo of cords on my first gpu and I'm still getting the same issue. Usage maxed on both gpus but yet poor fps and performance in game

OGSirbe

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Tried that. And normally I would say the same thing. But before I started having this issue I was running Doom and Witcher 3 with 60-75 usage and great fps/performance. So strange and confusing and a little frustrating

normally, i'd try to remove the GPUs fro computer and reinstall them + bios reset.
than i'd try a clean windows install on a spare disk.
after that i'd be scratching my head in search for more creative solution.

OGSirbe

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

Hmmm ok. I'm going to try removing GPUs, 1 at a time. You saying I should remove both and plug into MOBO or just see if 1 is causing the issue? Also can I just run windows repair tool (if they still have that)?

OGSirbe

Reputable
Mar 13, 2015

I will have to check. I'm not too sure of the last windows 10 update I installed.