Windows keeps crashing, after reboot goes to bios and C-drive is gone from bootmenu

GrannyWithA50Cal

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Hello,

I have been struggling with this problem for some time now and now I am hoping one of you can help me fix it!

The problem, on a random moment my computer/windows 10 decides to crash on me. Everything stops responding and the computer automatically reboots, after rebooting i get the bios screen and i see that my C-Drive is not in the boot list anymore. To fix this I have to turn off my pc fully, wait a few seconds and then when I start it up again it works fine again. The crash can happen very often and sometimes it can happen once a week or so.

EDIT:
On startup my windows tends to freeze for 5 seconds or so and then continues to run fine. (apart from the crashing tho)

The crashing happends when i dont do anything or when using the pc heavily.

What i have tried:
Reinstalled windows
Bought a new SATA cable.
Changed port on motherboard.
Cleaned pc from dust.
Updated bios.
Replugged all other wires on motherboard.
Ran Drive Booster Pro and Smart Defrag Pro (alot of drives were outdated but didnt fix the issue)

My specs:
ASUS x99-a motherboard
5930k i7 cpu
2x 980 strix GPU
1200W PSU
16gb 2144mhz ddr4 ram

Solution
There's still some things to try. Make sure you have the latest driver updates, possibly bios update for the mobo, doing a full format like that means you are relying on windows to supply drivers for lan, Sata, USB controllers etc. While this means they'll work, it also means they'll lack any specific tweaks or adjustments designed specifically for the types of controllers you have. Intel sockets will work fine, but other controllers will be running slow. This goes for things like the SSD controller as well, as there's different specific on board controllers that'll respond differently to drivers. You might also check the mobo manual to make sure the SSD is in the right Sata socket, you'll probably want it on socket 0 or 1, they'll...

jooshi

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Have you tried installing windows on another harddrive then? Might be an idea, also if you know a little bout pces. Remove the heatsink and the cpu, and make sure thers no dust inside there then refit it. refit ram aswell, change their lanes maby. Try one stick and one stick. and check all the cables if their connected well. also remove the gpus and try with integrated graphics.

jooshi

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Also try and reset bios perhaps, if you have messed with it earlier. As the thing your saying that turning it off a little while and back on works, might be some dualbios cmos thing fixing itself there. Or simply the psu being faulty as a powerdown should reset those.

GrannyWithA50Cal

Prominent
May 14, 2017

Even tho i know a little bit about pc's, im not comfortable to be pulling out the main components. GPU's i can handle but the cooler/cpu i dont have to tools/knowledge to do so. I dont have another drive as a spare, i was thinking of going out and buying a new SSD so i can try and install it on that. But wanted to see if someone was experiencing the same issues as me and found out how to fix it.

I tested my drives health with CrystalDiskInfo and they all show to 100% in good health.

If nothing comes out of this post ill send it out to my pc builder to have a look at it.

Thx for the help :)

jooshi

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Yeah its hard to know the exact root if random bsods, perhaps someone else with a similar problem responds. Does it happen just randomly or while your gaming or watching movies or something? harddrives, gpus and psus are usually the ones to go first.

GrannyWithA50Cal

Prominent
May 14, 2017
I went and bought a new SSD and i cant say for sure but i believe that did fix my issue (but didnt have enough to test it fully yet) I think my SSD was dieing because it was quite old i believe around 5 years old ish.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
SSDs should be good for @10-15yrs normally, but. And it's a healthy sized but. That all depends on the user and what's doing with Windows. If you read up on stuff like superfetch and prefetcher, the page will tell you that Windows 7,8,10 versions are supposed to disable those 2,as they are designed for hdd use (they preload common stuff, actually learning your habits etc, including boot drivers etc) but with an SSD, all they really do is a ton of extra read/writes for absolutely no reason. This can and will severely shorten the lifespan of an SSD, so users should make sure they are actually disabled. (superfetch is in services, prefetcher is in the registry). Any Windows upgrade, like the 2x windows 10 has seen so far, has a habit of turning them both back on.

On the flip side, pricing being what it is, a new ssd of a larger size isn't a bad upgrade idea, SSDs now are generally bigger stronger, faster than they were 5 years ago.

GrannyWithA50Cal

Prominent
May 14, 2017

Even tho adding the SSD fixed most of the issue, i am stilling having some wierd bugs, everytime i login on my computer after a few seconds it starts to freeze for roughly 5 seconds and then runs perfectly fine.

On first startup it makes the sound of something being plugged in after it stops lagging. Not sure what causes this. I reinstalled my windows when putting the new SSD in so i dont know where the problem is coming from.

GrannyWithA50Cal

Prominent
May 14, 2017

No, i installed the new OS on the new ssd with the old SSD unplugged. When everything was done i started the pc up made sure it was booting from the new disk and formatted the old SSD.

Sorry if i respond a bit late, i dont check this site often cause of alot of shit going on at work :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's still some things to try. Make sure you have the latest driver updates, possibly bios update for the mobo, doing a full format like that means you are relying on windows to supply drivers for lan, Sata, USB controllers etc. While this means they'll work, it also means they'll lack any specific tweaks or adjustments designed specifically for the types of controllers you have. Intel sockets will work fine, but other controllers will be running slow. This goes for things like the SSD controller as well, as there's different specific on board controllers that'll respond differently to drivers. You might also check the mobo manual to make sure the SSD is in the right Sata socket, you'll probably want it on socket 0 or 1, they'll usually be a Sata 3, if it's in 2-6 it's possible that it's Sata 2, which is a slower socket, or it's using Sata 3 but at a slower rate due to the generic drivers.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS