Power supply short circuited, trying to find answers

Menes009

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Thanks for coming to this post, here is the story of how my power supply (Cool Master RS-750-ACAA-E3) end up short circuited. I am now trying to find out if something else is damaged and why this happened in the first place.

A friend gave me his old pc because he got himself a new one (old pc working ok at this moment, he only removed the HDD). I disassembled it to clean it thoroughly, taking photos of the connections to assemble it again. After assembling it with a new HDD, I proceeded to power it up (had it plugged on to a 500W power regulator) and try to turn on the pc. At this point I realise it doesn't turn on because I accidentally connected the power button on the reset pins on the mobo and the reset button on the power pins. After correcting that mistake, I proceed to turn on the pc and it does it normally for 3-5 sec and after that my power supply made sounds like fireworks (at first I though I left a screw on a fan) and the pc shut down. At this point I realized that when I changed the power and reset button pins, I accidentally left unplugged the power cables of my graphics card. I proceed to unplug completely my power supply and try it with no load, what happens is that my power regulator shuts down the supply as soon as I power up the power supply. For this reason I confirm my power supply is short circuited.

Questions:

• >¿What could possibly made my power supply be damaged this way? My two main suspects are: 1. graphics card not powered but connected to mobo tried to pull power from mobo 2. dust inside the power supply created a short circuit (saddly the power supply was the only component I didnt cleaned)
    >¿Is it possible other components have suffered permanent damage also?¿If so, how can I test it?

PC parts:

• >Power Supply: Cool Master RS-750-ACAA-E3
    >Processor: Intel i7-950
    >Motherboard: GIGABYTE EX 58 UD3R S/R X58
    >RAM: CORSAIR 4GB DDR3 VENGEANCE x3 (total: 12GB)
    >Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 6970 2GB

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Menes009 : "Power supply short circuited, trying to find answers"