Antec Cube Mini ITX Case Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glock24

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2014
Hmm... Too big for a Mini-ITX case, lackluster performance despite its size, uninspiring design, and waaaay overpriced. Do people really pay a premium for a logo?

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I'm confused. I think they designed this case to sell on just the name alone. The price tag is ludicrous. Razor needs to stop this now because it's alienating their fan base and gamers in general. I actually think it's an attractive case and a good design but that price tag just kills it and you don't even get front case fans with it. They need to be careful who they let slap their branding on their products, eventually they are going to destroy their brand.

I'm sorry, this thing is ENORMOUS.

For $220 I'm buying a premium indie case that's better looking, has better build quality, and is a fraction of the size, like the Dr. Zaber Sentry or the Dondan A4. Let's see a review on those, Tom's. (Or heck, even the Ncase M1 that's been the darling of the mini itx industry for years now. You had one article when it was still doing its kickstarter - they're on version five of the case now.)

dstarr3

Distinguished

Seriously, literally every other similarly-priced mini-ITX case is far better than this one. This one isn't helped, either, by that tacky Razer logo on the front.

jcwbnimble

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
As others have mentioned, this case is way overpriced for what you get. Second, not having a CPU cutout on the MB tray is a deal breaker IMO. The last thing I want to do is remove the motherboard anytime I want to change coolers or try a different thermal paste. That's just ridiculous, especially since there is that huge space right next to the motherboard. I get that they wanted to be able to mount a 3.5" drive, but don't most builders of M-ITX systems forego large mechanical drives? I know I did when I built my son's M-ITX system in a raijintek Metis case. I used the on-board MSata connector for the boot drive and added a 2.5" drive for more storage.

As for people asking about paying a premium for brands, obviously we all do. Whether is be a particular brand of coffee you prefer or headphones, everyone has something that they don't mind spending more for. I do like the Razr logo and the green themed USB and lighting on this case (much like the old Nvidia case that was available on the Nvidia website), but the price premium AND poor design negate any appeal the aesthetics have on me.

The design is kinda nice, but the price is terrible. I feel like they're charging you $100 just for that razer logo. I can understand "curved" panels costing alot, because... reasons. But it's too bad there is glass on both sides, otherwise it may work well turned on it's side and laid down flat.

The Lian-Li PC-Q10 is cheaper and way better for the price IMO.

I also disagree with that being listed as a pro.

Pixdawg

Reputable
Jun 11, 2014
Ummm...I might pay extra for a case with the Antec name. Not for the Razer name. While no doubt this case is well-constructed, its design falls well short of what I expect from Antec or any other good case builder. I doubt I'd buy it for half the MSRP.

I totally disagree with Clamyboy's 'clickbait' comment: reviewing this case is kind of a must-do, if for no other reason than to point out its shortcomings.

Brian_227

Prominent
Apr 10, 2017
Noctua: "We're building a new series of CPU fans. What color should we make them, grandpa?"

Grandpa: "They should match the computer! My 1993 Compaq Presario is chocolate brown and beige, you must use those colors."

s4fun

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006

You can fix stupid. Just like the STUPID and PROUD elected cheetos jesus for a slogan, the iDiots for iPhoneys have paid many times over for that crApple logo. Words I heard from the wise, "NEVER underestimate the power of large number of stupid people." Marketing at Razer and Antec must have hear and they are playing to that crowd.

I love the Noctua colors. I used to like flashy but once I hit the age 18 my tastes changed to pure dullness and gloom.

SIEGEX

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
Razer.....stick to peripherals. On first glance it's ugly. Too damn big....and of course no front intake spells hot components. A better choice would be nfc s4mini. And that thing will cost me $325 shipped to australia. But at least it'll slide right in to my backpack with half a bag left to fill

Status
Not open for further replies.