Selling computer... Questions.

Davybats

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
So I am selling my gaming PC to a friend in order to build a new one. I am taking my SSD with me and windows 10 is attached to my MIcrosoft acc so I am taking that too. Do I need to worry about factory resetting windows before I hand it off to him (he will install his own OS and SSD) or will that just erase my settings and apps for no reason? If he installs his own SSD and OS will it basically be "factory reset" and none of my files/setting will be present? Will mine carry over to my new comp with my OS attached to my Microsoft Acc and SSD?

Thanks,
David

Solution
If you are removing the physical hard drive from the computer then none of you files will be left on the PC. He will install a new HDD and install windows onto that. You are going to need to reinstall Windows as well when you get your old HDD installed in the new PC.

tobyrhodges

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
If you are removing the physical hard drive from the computer then none of you files will be left on the PC. He will install a new HDD and install windows onto that. You are going to need to reinstall Windows as well when you get your old HDD installed in the new PC.

Solution
D

Deleted member 1443762

Your files /settings/apps are all installed onto your SSD.

It's best for both of you to freshly re-install Windows when you switch PC's.

You can take your SSD to your new computer once it has been built, have anything on it deleted and you will re-install Windows fresh and new.

When he takes his SSD to your computer he can do the same.

You cannot just move your SSD (Windows installation, settings, programs etc...) and plug it into a new build and expect it to work. Same for him.

Davybats

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Yes. I will install windows ont he new PC as it is attached to my Microsoft acc digitally. He will do the same

Davybats

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

how do you boot up after installing windows first? I have to go to settings->activation and activate windows from there

D

Deleted member 1443762

You should make a new post for that. There are several ways.