While Installing Windows on SSD I chose 30G and now in "my PC" I only have one disk of 30G while my SSD is 240G

Chen_2

Prominent
May 16, 2017
So I switched from HDD to SSD. I downloaded the windows installer onto an USB and then unplugged my HDD and plugged my SSD in. Then I plugged in the USB and installed windows. However, during the installation process, it asked me to choose a location I believe, It had the option of choosing the 198G SSD that I have, but I thought it was probably better to create a new separate [strike]disk[/strike] partition for the OS, so I clicked "create new" with 30000mb, and after installing I realized that the 30000mb 30GB [strike]Disk[/strike] partition is the only [strike]disk[/strike] partition I can access in the windows that I installed.
I installed windows 10 pro.
How can I access my entire SSD?

http://imgur.com/a/YfU5a
What "This PC" looks like

Solution
Open Disk Management and find your SSD. You should see a partition in blue of 30GB (the one you made) and a blacked out chunk of rest of the data. Right click on it and select New Simple Volume. Follow the setup wizard from there.

Jwpanz

Honorable
Open Disk Management and find your SSD. You should see a partition in blue of 30GB (the one you made) and a blacked out chunk of rest of the data. Right click on it and select New Simple Volume. Follow the setup wizard from there.

Solution

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
If you would rather have all the SSD in one chunk rather than having a separate partition for the rest of it (30GB is rather small for Win10, once you start getting updates, etc.), go to Disk Management (right-click Start and select Disk Management), right-click on the C: partition and select "Extend Volume". Then you can allocate some or all of the free space to be added to the C: drive. If you don't add all of it, you can still create a second partition as Jwpanz suggested above.

Chen_2

Prominent
May 16, 2017
Thanks for the answers guys.
Is WIN10 that big?
What's the difference between adding all the rest of my volume towards that C disk, and deleting all partitions and reinstalling WIN10?
Is one better than the other?

USAFRet

Titan

Trying the extending partitions may/probably will work.
But me personally...I'd just start over.

And it's not a case of Win 10 being 'that big'. But rather it grows over time.
And no matter how you partition that...you WILL lose out on some space.

Let's assume you grant it a 100GB partition. After the OS, applications, temp files, page files...some other stuff....you end up with 30GB free out of that 100GB partition.
So you've used 70GB.

Now...you wish to install something, or download some large doodad. 35GB.
It does not fit.
That 30GB free space is just blank empty space.

And your original idea of a 30GB partition is WAY too small. That won't even allow you to run the next large OS update in the fall. It will fail, due to not enough free space.

Just leave that drive as a single partition.