file history, Win10 backup, never works

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Every time I try and create a system backup with system image it does not complete.
Additionally, file history is incomplete very few files are actually saved.
I don't want to use 3rd party software or buy any additional software.
I have a 120 GB SSD for OS and 2 WD 1TB HDD's for data and backup.
I believe it should just work, it's part of windows ....so what gives?

Solution
It's failing because of a conflict between the service and something in your configuration, which is going to be like finding a needle in a hay stack. So you would need to adjust your configuration and test it to see what's conflicting, or try something else. You can always re-install the OS and start from scratch, with vanilla Windows it's likely to work.

There's lots of free backup utilities like Macrium Reflect Free, Rollback Rx, Easeus Todo Backup Free , Paragon Backup & Recovery Free, etc

LukeFatwalker

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
It's failing because of a conflict between the service and something in your configuration, which is going to be like finding a needle in a hay stack. So you would need to adjust your configuration and test it to see what's conflicting, or try something else. You can always re-install the OS and start from scratch, with vanilla Windows it's likely to work.

There's lots of free backup utilities like Macrium Reflect Free, Rollback Rx, Easeus Todo Backup Free , Paragon Backup & Recovery Free, etc

Solution