Screen freezes but i can still move my mouse

Jason Rotman

Prominent
May 16, 2017
Hi :) I recently just build my new pc and then installed windows 10. But i have this weird problem. After 10-60 minutes after i turn my pc on, my pc screen freezes. Not exactly freezes, cause i can still move my mouse. But like everything is loading and if i click on something it just loads and after like 30 seconds i cant press anything. But i can still move my mouse. I cannot press windows key or any other key. Then i have to do a hard reboot. This freeze thing will come randomly. It could be ingame in Counter strike og h1z1 or just when im on google .

My specs:
CPU: i7 7700k
GPU: gtx 1060 6gb
PSU: rm750x
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (8GBx2) DDR4 2133MHz
Motherboard: z270e
CPU cooler: h100i v2

Sorry for my bad english guys :) But if you could help me with this problem i would appreciate it :)

Ralston18

Titan
Use Event Viewer to look for error codes and warnings.

Hopefully some specific reason/cause for the screen freeze is being captured.

Another option is to boot up and start the Resource Monitor. Watch the overview for a while and see what is happening. Keep the window open but shrink it down so you can continue watching. Then start doing things as normal; gaming, googling. Look for some resource that starts peaking and does not drop down again as you close a game or other activity.

Then, if you can get the problem narrowed down to CPU, memory, disk, or network then focus on the applicable tab and repeat the "watching".

May take a few tries especially if there is some particular combination of events triggering the freezes.

Jason Rotman

Prominent
May 16, 2017

I tried to boot in safe mode to see if the same thing were gonna happen there. It did. Then i looked into event viewer. Some errors, but no errors that caused this freeze. Then i tried to watch a youtube video while having resource monitor open. When the crash came everything just started loading, but no spikes in cpu, ram or disk.
This is a new build with new components so im pretty sure it has nothing to do with my components. Maybe a corrupt windows? I dont know. I just want to be on my pc without this freeze. Like its not a freeze. Its just like everything just starts loading. For an example: Im opening a new window in google chrome and im going to a new website. Then it just loads, it never connects to the website. If i click on windows buttom in the buttom left corner, it will pop up, but then it will stay there. Then i have to do a hard reboot, cause i cant do anything else. This problem is killing me, pls help :c

Ralston18

Titan
Would you please elaborate on " When the crash came everything just started loading.."

Agree: it may not be a hardware problem per se. Software or firmware perhaps.

The concept is to use Event Viewer to find Error codes, warnings, or even some information event that constantly preceeds or occurs at the time of the freeze.

Explore Event Viewer: remember that sometimes "no data" is just an interim message while data is being collected. And that you can right click on any log entry for more information and details.

And new components are not necessarily a quarantee that the component is functioning correctly.

Keep digging into things via Event Viewer, Task Manager, Performance Monitor, and Resource Monitor.

The objective is to identify some common pattern of events that leads to the freeze.

Are any other devices on your network having problems? Maybe the troubleshooting efforts need to be expanded.

Jason Rotman

Prominent
May 16, 2017

I found out the problem. It was my new ssd. I dont know why but it seems to be the problem. I found it out by connecting my old hdd with windows on it and nothing happened :D Gonna send the ssd back to get a new one. Thanks for the help!