How to boot new PC without re-installing Win10 first?

Davybats

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
I plan on activating Win10 on my new PC as it is linked to my MS account... this may be a dumb questions but how do I boot-up in the first place in Windows isn't already installed?

Solution
Or even easier....
Create a NEW Win 10 install, here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This will include all of the current updates, so that you don't have to do it.

During the install, when it asks for the license key., at the bottom of that window is a link for :
"I don't have a product key"
Or, use the license key that it came with when you purchased it.

Click that and proceed.
It will be unactivated, because of the new hardware.
When you try to activate it, then you go through the activation troubleshooter, telling it about the linkage to your MS account.

USAFRet

Titan

No, you have to install the OS to boot from it.
Later, when it fails to activate with the new hardware...then you go through the actvation troubleshooter.

Davybats

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

So if i plug in the original USB that I got from buying Win10 it will install and boot?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes...Power up and boot from that USB, install the OS.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Where are you getting the new PC? It could have Windows 10 already installed and you just login using your MS account. You will then have 2 Windows 10 licenses tied to your MS account.

If your new PC does not come with Windows, you need to download the Windows 10 install to a USB drive and boot the new machine with that. Then login and activated it using your MS account. Keep in mind this deactivates the old machine installation, you can't have it on both.

Davybats

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Thanks! Will it ask for the code it came with or MS acc info?

USAFRet

Titan
Or even easier....
Create a NEW Win 10 install, here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

This will include all of the current updates, so that you don't have to do it.

During the install, when it asks for the license key., at the bottom of that window is a link for :
"I don't have a product key"
Or, use the license key that it came with when you purchased it.

Click that and proceed.
It will be unactivated, because of the new hardware.
When you try to activate it, then you go through the activation troubleshooter, telling it about the linkage to your MS account.

Solution