Accidentally wiped my hard drive, downloaded an OS, now what?

ambonds

Prominent
May 16, 2017
I was factory resetting my laptop due to a trojan virus, and accidentally let it die. So it malfunctioned and wiped the hard drive. I was able to redownload the OS to it, but I have none of my drivers to do updates or anything on the computer. So what do I need to download or do to make the computer work like it just came out of the box?

DSzymborski

Titan
Well, you're going to need to download the relevant drivers. If your laptop uses a recovery partition on the hard drive, a pure factory reset to your laptop's initial state, rather than that of a fresh Windows stall, may be right out. Anything else, well, I don't know anything about your laptop.

ambonds

Prominent
May 16, 2017

It's a Toshiba Satellite Click 2 L35W-B3204 , if that helps any.
Now that I've downloaded an operating system, am I still able to factory reset it? Even though I wiped the hard drive clean?

DSzymborski

Titan

It appears likely that the factory reset partition, if there was one (which is likely) is no longer an option. Contact Toshiba to see if they offer recovery media for your laptop. If not and the partition is also gone, there's no factory reset, only what you get from a normal, fresh install of Windows, which means you're likely going to have to do some driver hunting on Toshiba support.

ambonds

Prominent
May 16, 2017

I've done a bit of driver hunting, they don't seem to offer much (I can find at least) for my laptop. Also I'm not really sure exactly what drivers I need, so I wouldn't know if I'm missing some or not. Seems like my best option might be to contact Toshiba for recovery media. Thank you.

DSzymborski

Titan

Go into device manager and look for any warnings there. If a missing driver is causing an issue, most of the time, you'll probably know and Windows 10 is very competent at finding drivers if that's your OS. If everything's working fine, I'd much prefer a fresh Windows install to a factory reset, complete with bloatware, anyway.

ambonds

Prominent
May 16, 2017

Everything is working fine, I just red flagged a little when I opened the uninstall/change program and there was only 5 programs in there vs the normal amount. But if its going to work fine this way, I may as well save the money on a factory reset disc. I just got worried things wouldn't work as well without most of the prior programs it came installed with.