I can't reach the max resolution of my monitor

MozerallaCheese

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
So I bought a Display Port to VGA adapter yesterday and my resolution won't seem to go up above 1600x1200 on a monitor that can go up to 1920x1080p. On my TV it can go up to 1920x1080p but has trouble fitting into the entire screen as it spreads out too much. I'm lost on what to do at this point? Hopefully someone knows how to fix this

Solution
OK ... again I'm no expert on monitor & tv settings but .... I vaguely remember having a fitting problem kinda like you describe on my tv the 1st time I hooked my laptop up to it. As I recall I opened the menu of the tv, went to display and changed the aspect to 16:9 ... i think the default was 'pan and scan' or some such thing. As soon as I did that, the 1920 X 1080 sent by the laptop via HDMI fit perfectly. Does your tv allow you to change the aspect ratio?

Thinking of your monitor ... you might be stuck with the poorer quality of display unless or until you get the hdmi port fixed. I'm assuming the broken port is on the monitor. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply to this thread and find a fix for you.
this from digital trends:

"If you’re connecting to a television, HDMI is the way to go. If you’re a gamer or find yourself on a computer all day, DisplayPort might be your best option, especially now that it has become more popular and, thus, supported. DVI and VGA are still solid computer monitor connections, but VGA is limited in its image quality potential, and won’t be a topic of conversation much longer. At the end of the day, we stand behind HDMI and DisplayPort as the top connections of choice."

OK ... again I'm no expert on monitor & tv settings but .... I vaguely remember having a fitting problem kinda like you describe on my tv the 1st time I hooked my laptop up to it. As I recall I opened the menu of the tv, went to display and changed the aspect to 16:9 ... i think the default was 'pan and scan' or some such thing. As soon as I did that, the 1920 X 1080 sent by the laptop via HDMI fit perfectly. Does your tv allow you to change the aspect ratio?

Thinking of your monitor ... you might be stuck with the poorer quality of display unless or until you get the hdmi port fixed. I'm assuming the broken port is on the monitor. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will reply to this thread and find a fix for you.

Solution