BSOD while playing games

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017
Well... The problem I have is related to computer crashing, more specifically the bsod. It occurs while im playing some games, as csgo, and it doesnt occur instanty. Instead, it does at mid-game. Usually between 10 and 40 minutes into playing a match (not in the lobby). The error shown changes from one crash to another, but the ones i have seen the most are 'kernel security check failure' , 'page fault in nonpaged area', and 'system service exception'. If I get a different one, I will post it. For now, I will show you the data recorded in the event log:
Log Name: System
Source: Kernel-power
Event ID: 41
Level: Critical
user: SYSTEM
Task category: 63
Keywords: (70368744177664),(2)
Thanks in advance, if you need any more data, just ask please.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you download and run who crashed - it will give us a glimpse of the errors you getting and might help us solve them

Copy/paste summary in here and I see what I can do :)

event 41 is just windows reaction to not being turned off correctly, its not the cause, its a reaction.

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer name: PCSALÓN
Windows version: Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 15063
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z170 PRO GAMING
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 17095278592 bytes total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 16/05/2017 21:43:56 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051617-5437-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x16C310)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF8014EBB61C2, 0x10, 0xFFFFF8014EBB61C2, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 16/05/2017 21:43:56 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x50 (0xFFFFF8014EBB61C2, 0x10, 0xFFFFF8014EBB61C2, 0x0)
Error: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 16/05/2017 21:34:28 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\051617-5468-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0xF475F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF80115CC475F, 0xFFFFDC81F3BCE8F8, 0xFFFFDC81F3BCE130)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_f37f8f12da8b10d7\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.92
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.92
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.92 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

Conclusion

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 378.92 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

MY COMMENT
I forgot to tell in the first post. I have been doing some research every time it crashed, and found out that most of them could be kernel-related, or RAM related. I have tried several solutions but none of them worked. (I experienced a similar problem with WoW, but i disabled the dvr {i think it is written like that} from the xbox application and it has not crashed anymore, i have already played around 20 hours in that server)

Also, I have the Nvidia drivers up to date with the Geforce Experience

Thanks for your time!

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, try Colif's solution first. If that doesn't help, I recommend trying a different version of your Nvidia driver. Version 378.92 was released 2 months ago. There have been 3 new releases since then. I am currently using 381.89 and have found it to be stable (no crashes in GTA V lately and I can play it for hours at a time). I haven't tried 382.05. I'm also not on Creators Update yet.

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

In addition to what I said above, I also just read that version 381.65 added support for Creators Update. I could be wrong (I'm just not sure), but I think you are on the Creators Update. Here is where I found that info: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/381.65/381.65-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf Go to page 7 and look at New Features.

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Okay I just tried this and had to do a couple of thing with these drivers but it seems to work, it no longer crashes. However, I do not know if the program I used to clean the drivers (the one which appears in the link you wrote) cleaned some other useful drivers, because now i have a bit of visual lag while playing (it is better than crashes anyway hahaha).

So I will try to get gardenman's drivers as he says they are stable. Thanks for your time!!
(if you have any other solution to the lag, please tell me ^^. It is strange as i dont see any fps drop in the game screen {I have popped a text which shows the fps})

UPDATE:

Ok so it seems to have been successfully solved, the bsod thing- But now the 'lag' (it feels like small microfreezes) is always happening, with ohter videogames too. I feel like the computer is slower. I have noticed that the cpu gets to high percentage usage quite often. I am not an expert in drivers, but as the program might have removed all the drivers, not just the gpu ones I tried to find some cpu drivers. It seems like they dont exist so... Any suggestions? :p

Colif

Win 11 Master
ddu would have only remove Nvidia drivers if that is card you had and since you have an Intel CPU, even if you removed all AMD drivers instead, that wouldn't effect your CPU. If you removed all Intel, then I would hope ddu smart enough to just remove Intel graphics drivers and not other things along the way

there are things people call CPU drivers but all they actually do is tell windows what kind of CPU you have.

Check on motherboard web site and see if you have the latest Intel Management Engine (its in the chipset section here). MIght want the intel sata drivers as well.

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017

I installed intel management drivers successfully, so i guess i didnt have them, but nothing has improved :S. I still have that kind of lag...

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder if its still the GPU drivers causing the lag or micro stutters. I assume it doesn't happen on the desktop? you didn't have it before you removed them so it has to be the drivers. I would post on here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/72/

You could confirm its GPU related by removing card and running off the integrated IGPU, just to test if you get same lag in games. Not as a permanent solution. You can't play games in safe mode or I would suggest that to see if its the drivers.

gardenman

Splendid
Try turning the Game DVR off in Windows Settings. If that doesn't help, try disabling Game Mode too. If neither of those help, turn them back on for the time.

More thoughts...
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops-since-windows-10-creators-update/

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Well, I noticed a task that was taking a lot of cpu. It was the windows defender, and i set it to run only when the computer is inactive. But I get the same lag. For you to understand, everything is still 'playable', and it is not a major problem (it is like it is not smooth enough), but I have noticed that it doesnt only happen in games. When I move windows, like make the navigator smaller and move it around the screen, I notice it too. I will try to run the computer with the motherboard's or the CPU's GPU, and I will uptade this comment.

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Whoops I am sorry I forgot to reply. I tried the 381.65 and nothing changed, so I suppose the version is not the issue...

Colif

Win 11 Master
motherboard/CPU GPU is same thing - motherboard use CPU to power the IGPU :)

I stopped defender using my GPU by using bitdefender instead, I can control when it runs scans... if at all.

i understand what it looks like, you not getting bsod so its not like we missed a driver I don't think.

go to settings/update & security/recovery and under advanced startup, choose restart now
this loads advanced startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

is it laggy? If its not laggy, its the drivers

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017

I had already have disabled the dvr as it caused me problems with other games. I also disabled the game mode and intel turbo boost and I think it has somehow improved (not completely solved but it got better). Maybe it is just me.... i have been testing for quite a while now and i cant distinguish much. Thank you two! If you have any other ideas please tell me, but you have already helped me a lot ^^

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017

I saw in the thread gardenman said that it was causing problems, so i tried to turn it off. If the problem gets solved, i will turn it on again

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Okey so I just tested the safe mode and it is the same. Also, I have noticed that my computer really suffers when downloading something, like even the cursor gets laggy, teleporting from one place to another, like if it was the school's computer. I am trying now to install the latest drivers of Nvidia using Geforce Experience and doing a 'clean installation' (removing the last ones) but it fails on doing the custom installation...

Colif

Win 11 Master
what gpu do you have? I know its nvidia but what model?

Does GPU show up with right description in device manager? should be under display adapter. Just wondering if problem is the card itself as drivers should install. You not getting any other bsod so I don't think its a ram problem.

Did you try with just the IGPU yet?

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Okay so I just tried the IGPU (I connected my screen to the motherboard port instead of the GPU, I think it worked) and I did some testing. Apart from having a different resolution and worse graphics, everything remained the same. I also chekced the GPU in the device manager and it shows, with no exclamation or any problem signal.
This is quite strange because I formated the computer and it didnt show this problem, but kept doing bsod even after a couple of full reinstalling the drivers.... Now that is solved but got the other one

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Btw I forgot to mention that I have a gtx 960

Colif

Win 11 Master
so its not the gpu then, as you lead me to believe the igpu also had same stutter? you probably don't have intel vga drivers on PC as you can't have them and the Nvidia ones installed at same time (that only works on laptops)

I don't understand how removing the gpu driver has made PC react like this
its not gpu as its same with igpu
its not drivers - as its laggy in safe mode

Do you have the latest bios for motherboard?

Rodady

Prominent
May 17, 2017

Aaaalright I updated the BIOS and i think it has enhanced my system but it has not solved the laggy issue... I still wonder how reinstalling drivers has caused it

Stuttering, freezing, or lag (network issues)?

Stuttering, freezing, or lag (network issues)?