Is Windows 10 OEM keys sold on Kinguin LEGIT (legal)?

Newbie-asker

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
Hello!
I want to buy Windows 10 Home product key
and i can't buy one from Microsoft website cause it only accepts credit card ( i only have a gift
card called Paysafecard)
and i saw that one website called Kinguin selling Windows 10 OEM Keys for few bucks and accepts paysafecard
Is it legal? is even selling OEM keys legal according to Microsoft?
if no ,
is there any other legit ways to get Windows 10 product key?
Local retailers isn't an option cause there is no Microsoft retailers where i live
Currently i don't have any OS installed.
Thanks in Advance

USAFRet

Titan
Is Windows 10 OEM keys sold on Kinguin LEGIT (legal)?

No.
There are several ways those keys are sold at that price.
1. NotForResale - Educational or corporate licenses. Stolen or bought in the thousands.
1 person selling his edu license is one thing. Some person with 2,000 of them is something else completely.

2. Generated keys - May appear to be valid initially, but eventually the activation server catches on.

3. MSDN or TechNet licenses. Those are for internal corporate use and testing. And this is specifically why the TechNet subscription program was shut down a couple years ago.

3. Money laundering - Buy several thousand 'valid' license keys with stolen credit cards. Sell them to you for pennies on the dollar.

Bottom line...those are not legit.

ten80steve

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
I have actually purchased a Windows 10 Pro key off of Kinguin before. I've had friends buy them and successfully activate without any issues. I had a lot of reservation of my own because the pricing looked too good to be true or legitimate. However, I went ahead and purchased a product key. I used Paypal. I already had the Windows 10 on a USB flash drive, but skipped the activation during the installation of Windows 10. Once I was connected to the internet, I entered the product key to activate. Moment of truth...it would not activate. The message said that it has already been used on a different device. I initiated a chat session with Microsoft to see if they could assist me. The rep did not ask me where I got the product key. I allowed him to remote into my PC. He entered some Confirmation ID that was 8 sets of 5 numbers. He also opened the command prompt to run a command called slmgr /rearm . He got my Windows activated and made no mention of the key's legitimacy or its message saying that it was used before. This happened at the end of January this year. It's still activated. I just wanted to share my personal experience.

Newbie-asker

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
My questions is legitimately of the keys , i mean idc if they stop working in 6 month i would buy another
Is buying the keys from there is illegal just exactly like pirated windows?
i live chat Kinguin and they said its 100% legit and they check their sources before buying and its additional oem equipment or something like that?
If it was violating Microsoft , why would the website be up & running?
i don't understand

Newbie-asker

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

This requires mypaysafecard , mypaysafecard isn't available in my country

USAFRet

Titan

They can become unactivated.
Happens all the time.

Of COURSE kinguin is going to say that it is 100% legit.

Here's a conversation between a member here and Microsoft, about a similar site, G2A
----------------
Quote:
Dear Valued customer,
You have reached Microsoft Customer Service, South East Asia. My name is Rizky and I would address your enquiry. As I understand it, you have inquiry for Microsoft Windows 8 Pro from G2A website. If my understanding is inaccurate, please let me know.
For this information, we have to inform you that it is not recommended by Microsoft to make purchases of these softwares as they are not official and genuine versions that are support by Microsoft activation. Microsoft does not have any vendor agreements with G2A or any of it’s resellers and so this in direct conflict to the Microsoft software license agreement since they are not an authorized electronic supplier of genuine Microsoft software. We cannot verify the genuine sales of the G2A third party seller but without authorization from Microsoft they cannot be genuine supplier.
Sincerely, it was a pleasure helping you. If ever you need further assistance please don’t hesitate to send us an email and we will be more than happy to help you.
Thank you for contacting Microsoft. Have a nice day!
Regards,
Rizky
Customer Service Representative
Microsoft Customer Service, South East Asia (SEA)
----------------------

Newbie-asker

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

1-So its as illegal as pirated windows? Yes/No
2-i don't understand why Microsoft would not shut the website or sellers down and prevent scams??

USAFRet

Titan

1. Not 'quite' as illegal as a full pirated license. But the license keys can and do become unactivated.

2. Because international law enforcement is NOT cheap or effective.
And then it just becomes whack-a-mole.

USAFRet

Titan

Kinguin actually does not 'sell' anything.
Just like ebay. They are the middleman between you and the person selling these.

You're just buying it from some dude.

USAFRet

Titan

There are ALWAYS other choices and methods.

You've been given the reasons why kinguin and similar is not valid.
And you KNOW pirating is the wrong thing to do.

Good luck.
I'm out.

Newbie-asker

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

What choices? amazon gift card can't be purchased using paysafecard unless i have mypaysafecard and its only for specific countries i don't live in and Ebay doesn't accept paysafecard at all
and ik pirating is wrong to do

ten80steve

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
"So you've decided to steal Windows. Myth: Windows piracy is wrong. Fact: Microsoft is a big faceless corporation, which makes it okay." lol. I am kidding. Just referencing The Simpsons, but applying Windows instead of when Homer decides to get free cable.

It is up to you what you want to do. Your purchase limitation on that card does put you in a pickle leaving you with unfavorable options. Know anyone with a credit card that could help you? As USAFRet, there are other ways that can be sought.

USAFRet

Titan

So the total sum of all the money you have in the world is tied up in your paysafecard, that you can't actually use?

Newbie-asker

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

No, but Microsoft doesn't have any authorized sellers here
I will try to find another choices hopefully
and why are you mad? i was just asking

jensrobot

Reputable
Mar 18, 2014
Yes its not condoned by microsoft, but they don't do jack to stop it either and never have.
I did not know this was illegal until a couple of years ago... I've used and reused OEM keys all my life, i never got a call from Ol' Bill

In fact the story is always the same. It might not initially activate, but a call to microsoft and THEY help you activate it. Using the automated machine is the easiest option tho. Kinda makes the end user not having learnt his lesson, the contrary actually, you would carry on and do the same the next time you needed activation.
Microsoft doesnt seem to care at all unless you ask them directly, and with the answers i've seen around, even they are uncertain at times.

<Mod warning: You've been a member here long enough to know better than to use that language in these forums>
EDIT: sorry for the swear word, slip of my fingers :)

faceofed

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Do you know you can load Windows 10 onto your PC -- any currently-supported version of Windows, actually -- and NOT activate it, and it is almost 100% usable, with no foreseeable forced deactivation? That's right ... no $$! There are some personalizing options that are not offered -- like changing the themes -- but otherwise you are golden.

Check out https://youtu.be/Xzbrhbrejqo (recommend typing into browser)

I have since tried this and it has been working great ... on 2 PC's. I tried it for academic reasons as I am primarily a LINUX user, but I thought it would be interesting to see if it works.