Black Screen with cursor, after changing the system/boot drive letter

Noah_53

Prominent
May 17, 2017
I bought a new HDD and I was trying to boot from the new one. I had cloned the Old drive onto the new HDD and I followed this (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/223188/how-to-restore-the-system-boot-drive-letter-in-windows) guide in an attempt to boot off my new HDD. If you read the guide it tells one to change certain values in the registry, I suspect this might be the problem? As my computer is now when I turn it on I get the motherboard splash art and then a black screen where I can move around my cursor. I don't think its a hardware Issue as my computer was working fine before and after cloning the old drive. My PC runs windows 10.

So far I've tried:

Running in safe mode, which doesn't change anything

Changing the boot order of my drives, which doesn't change anything

Repairing my computer, which yields a Windows failed to start screen, with three steps, and an error code, telling me insert my Windows installations disk.

How do I fix this? And is my data lost to the abyss? Thanks.

LVLpost

Prominent
May 17, 2017
just make sure you have all the files you need saved or backed up somewhere.....

1.restart computer and select the option run in safe mode with networks (mine was f5)
2.hold ctrl+alt+delete to bring up task manager and at the bottom left of the task manager box it will say either (more details) or (fewer details) make sure you have MORE DETAILS selected.
3.click file and hit run new task.
4.when it lets you type in the box.....................type CONTROL PANEL
5. select user accounts and family safety.
6. select the user account that is blacking out after start up.
7.click make changes to my account in pc settings.

Noah_53

Prominent
May 17, 2017

So I tried this and No luck, I selected run in safe mode with networks and my motherboard splash art was up for a bit longer, then my computer proceeded to black screen with cursor. Just the same as before.

Faike

Notable
Mar 27, 2017

Can you reboot the computer in safemode and select a restore point please?
Seems like a corrupted windows installation.
Do you have a windows installation disk you can boot from and repair?
Run SFC /scannow C: or whatever its called
run Chkdsk C: or whatever drive it is
You can create a bootable version of Windows using a USB using the Windows To-Go installer and that might fix your issue.