VMware ESXi 5.1.0

Kevvie

Prominent
May 18, 2017
Recently I got a new IT company to setup my PC Networking in the office. Long story short, the company stole from me and I cancelled the service.

Now, I have some IT background.. but not that much. What we wanted to do is have a server PC for the company running Windows7, how he put Windows7 on VMware I do not know.

The problem I am having is that he installed VMware EXSI 5.1.0 on the server, what he did on there only he knows. He won't give me any credentials, maybe to try and spite me. anyway, all I could see on the server is the IP address, I was told to download vSphere Client, however, I do not have the root username and password. This is my first encounter with VMWare so I am totally in the dark.

The second problem I have is that it seems he has a VPN or something as he can see every single PC and the amount downloaded and uploaded, I don't know if he goes through the switch to see that - he still has access, and I need to change it so he can't have access to my business network.

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
Hi there,

first things first.
I would suggest a full re installation of windows 7 on the PC, and consider more recent OS.
to eliminate any possibilities that the old company has made any malicious changes.
Next i would also reinstall the vmware exsi host on the machine. to start from afresh, as the configuration may also be changed. As for access. What you you use for internet access, such as Firewall. This may need to be factory reset, or a check through to ensure that the VPN config doesnt allow inbound access for this traffic (this should also fix the remote access problem.). I would recommend factory resetting the switches. as unless having complicated network generally wont need much configuring.

I cant guarantee that the fix will be as straight forward as this, as there could be many things that could be wrong also. and the set up are not very easy at all.

I would be happy to have a cursive look around and see if i can offer any ideas and fix what i can.
But this will require remote access into the network.

Kevvie

Prominent
May 18, 2017
Thanks for the info, seems like a not so easy task. Will see what information I can gather.

Why did he load VMWare instead of just leaving Windows7 as is ?

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
I'm not sure what you mean.
VMWare, is normally used to create VM's.
which allow you to run multiple computer sessions on a single piece of hardware.
I would need to see the actual configuration to know what he has done.

Kevvie

Prominent
May 18, 2017
On the server PC, VMware's yellow/black screen shows. I thought that windows was not installed. However, I downloaded a handy little program Advanced IP Scanner, and was able to RDP to the VM Pc, being able to log onto Windows 7 Pro. From there, I am clueless. I will do some more research. Time to get some more knowledge of cisco switches and VMware.

thanks for your comments so far, tomorrow I'll try again with your help!

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
Good Morning,

First things first,
you will need to log onto the admin console of the vmware host.
Which in this case is the windows 7 pro PC.
This might require credentials. If you do not have the credentials, and the default admin password doesn't work.
I suggest you either reinstall esxi onto the machine.
Or see if VMWare support, could help you unlock the software. (Using maintenance admin password E.T.C.)

I would suggest reinstalling for the simple fact that this will be quicker. Vendor support aren't know for there speediness .