Windows update constant checking for updates and cant get update 1703 windows 10

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
Hello, I've been trying to download the new 1703 version for windows 10 because I have been running on the older 1607 version and everytime I check for updates it just continuiously shows the dots and never stops, after I close it and re-open it, it says "your computer is up to date" when it clearly isn't, because I believe 1703 is already out, I could use some help fixing my windows 10 update, thanks in advance.

NDDU Julius BSIT

Respectable
May 19, 2016

Did you sign up for the Creators Update? Try using the Media Creation Tool here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014

do you need to sign up to get the update?

NDDU Julius BSIT

Respectable
May 19, 2016

I don't think so... As far as I know, the Media Creation Tool provides the latest Build version of Windows 10

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014

alright, I'll download it, not sure why my windows wont check for updates properly

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014

yeah I downloaded the windows update assistant and im updating to the creator update, so hopefully this will fix everything

NDDU Julius BSIT

Respectable
May 19, 2016

Yeah cheers. Good luck with that one :)
Let me know if anything bad turns out...
If this helped you out, consider selecting this as the answer :D I would gladly appreciate it

The Windows 10 Creators Update comes with a host of new issues. Microsoft has decided that in cases where they detect possible incompatibilities with a user's configuration, the update will not show up, but can still be manually installed.

I recommend, based on Microsoft's recommendation, and my own evaluation, that users probably shouldn't be manually installing the Creators Update version of Windows, especially if you use Bluetooth devices.

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014

I mainly just game on my pc, should I upgrade? my windows update doesnt seem to keep me up to date with updates, so im on version 1607 while 1703 is out, I am mainly doing this because of the nsa leak that happened recently, if the update isnt anything important I wont bother, but something is still wrong with my windows update

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014

any idea why my windows update is bugged like that? because it got me an update like 2 days ago for version 1607, and my friends all are on version 1703, I have no idea whats wrong with it

NDDU Julius BSIT

Respectable
May 19, 2016
If that's your common activities, then updating to the latest build isn't that much of a gaming boost.
The patches for the NSA leaks are within the Security updates so you're safe if the OS is up-to-date with the security updates

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014

how do I know if they're up-to-date with the security updates?

Being on the latest version of Windows, with the latest patches, isn't a guarantee of safety. Most exploits require the user to do something dumb, which is why I have little sympathy for most individuals with malware or virus infected PCs.

For gaming purposes I still have a Windows 8.1 box that I've never applied a single patch to, and in fact, Windows Update hasn't yet been configured on that install. After a year, it's yet to have a single malware or virus related issue, despite a constant online connection.

You see, if you don't have open ports with vulnerable servers listening on them for outside sources to target, aren't otherwise downloading and executing nefarious code, and haven't opened up a bunch of shares to software that can be infected on your machine, what attack vector is somebody going to use to infect your computer with unwanted code?

NDDU Julius BSIT

Respectable
May 19, 2016

Just be careful of what you are downloading :) As far as I know about the Ransomware, it mostly targets users with that NSA exploit. Since Microsoft already release a security patch for that. Although he is right you are not 100% guaranteed safe due to some coding imperfections. Hackers will always be hackers. If there is a will, there is a way.