The new build

Hi everybody.

I'm looking at upgrading my current rig, which is definitely outdated. I already began upgrading elements of it around Christmas, and started with a GTX 1060. However, the rest needs an update - I'm a huge fan of Windows 7 so bare that in mind when helping me out.

I've scoured these forums for a good two hours trying to compare and gather some thoughts on what to do, but I figured letting you guys know what I had in mind would let you help me out. Any help would be appreciated.

The intended usage of the new build is gaming; I want to future proof it for the next 3-5 years, and be able to branch out and play more games, and reduce my console usage almost entirely.

This is what I have so far:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 Black 8mb cache
GPU: GTX 1060
PSU: OCZ Mod X Stream Pro 600W
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2 x 4gb) DDR3
MOBO: ASRock 970 Extreme3

In comparison, these are my IDEAS for the new build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600k or Intel Core i7-7700k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Air
GPU: GTX 1060
PSU: OCZ Mod X Stream Pro 600W
RAM: ? (Not sure whether DDR3 or DDR4 is the way to go; plus, memory limits etc? Ideally 16GB)
MOBO: ? (MOBOs have never been my strong point - rough budget of £150 give or take for this)

I appreciate there are a tonne of these posts around, but you guys would be helping me out a lot - thanks guys!!!!
Reply to The Nully
7 answers Last reply
More about build
  1. I recommend you firstly put your build list on here it makes helping a lot easier for us > https://pcpartpicker.com/list/.

Just from an overview i would make the following recommendations:

- For Kaby Lake you want DDR4 RAM, any speed is fine really but 2400 MHz would be all you ideally need.
    - Since you have a K series CPU i assume you intend on Overclokcing? If yes you need a Z270 Motherboard to do so and i would suggest upgrading the CPU cooler to a Cryorig H7, similar price and better quality (not that the EVO is bad). If not Overclocking, ditch the aftermarket cooler and get a locked i7-7700 + B250 Motherboard, however Ryzen is something i would strongly consider at the price range.
    - I understand you love Windows 7 but i strongly suggest 10 as the newer CPU generations no longer allow chipset updates and security patches on Windows 7 as far as i know. You will also lose support for some modern features such as DirectX 12 support for an example.
    - How old is the Power Supply? If it is 5+ years old i would suggest upgrading it with the rest of your new build. Even a cheap Corsair CXM 550 would do the job and it's on sale for very cheap at the moment.
    Hope this helps :)
    Reply to CRO5513Y
  2. DDR4 for Ram. Will be needed for the new gen CPU's
    and for a MOBO hmm.
    I suggest MSI - Z270 GAMING PRO CARBON.
    PcPartPicker Link: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kCHkqk
    the mobo is a little over budget.

although with this setup your GPU will be the bottle neck, if you want the money for a better GPU i would then suggest the i5 7600k and using the spare with selling the 1060 to get a 1070+.

The set up looks good. though. :)
    Reply to freercurse
  3. You can do way better.
    @OP, what is your budget?
    I'll make a list for you.
    Reply to Chugalug_
  4. @CRO5513Y - I've always been a little scared of overclocking, so I'm not sure whether to play it safe and get a locked CPU or an unlocked one. The power supply is easily 5 years old. I'll check it out, thanks a lot for your post.

@freercurse - I'll check that MOBO out definitely. The 1060 is almost brand new, and it handles fairly well, I don't think I'll be needing to upgrade it for a little while. Thanks a lot dude.

@Chugalug - Budget for the revamped components is roughly £800 for the RAM/MOBO/CPU, but can stretch or reduce if necessary. Obviously cheaper is better, but for a little extra I wouldn't mind going higher either. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: What does everybody think of this? https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/kCHkqk <- Unsure about the motherboard, whether to stick with that or get the MSI B250.
    Reply to The Nully
  5. Note: Kabylake has no official support for Windows 7...
    You'd need to get Skylake to have win7 support
    Reply to Finstar
  6. What's your current PC case @OP?
    Would you like to upgrade that too?
    Not sure what cooler clearance is like.
    Reply to Chugalug_
  7. Does it support 160mm coolers?
    I see you've put in the 212 Evo which is close to 160mm, but I can't be sure.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£299.94 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£46.85 @ CCL Computers)
    Motherboard: ASRock - Z270 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£102.36 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£120.84 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£117.00 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: NOX - URANO TX 850W ATX Power Supply (£65.21 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £752.20
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-20 01:03 BST+0100
    Reply to Chugalug_
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

CPUs New Build