Zalman ZM-K900M Keyboard Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
a single extra column of 6 keys wont make a big difference[it does in pro gaming XD]. anyway u r missing my point of that being a flagship. all flagship boards from logitech, corsair, razer come with them ;)

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I hear what you're saying:

flagship = extra bank of keys
one step down = numpad only
next step down = TKL

I don't disagree that it's a good strategy to have those options. But the extra bank of keys PLUS the numpad...ugh, that's so wide... you might like a TKL + detachable, programmable numpad, like the Asus Claymore. Gives you more flexibility, plus more keys to program.

Cindy White

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015

While it may be handy for MMORPG games, macro keys could be rage inducing when playing fps games and accidentally hitting the macro key -- and now you are dead. I've also experienced phantom typing only to discover that my pinky was slightly pressing one of the macro keys.

Nowadays game developers are courteous enough to include built-in macro feature that allow players to bind actions to any key they prefer, thus removing the necessity of having separate macro keys. This seems to be consistent with logitech's direction as well (i.e. removed macro keys from their high tier line up). It is also important to note that macro keys on mouse is superior to macro keys on keyboards.

Macro keys are now a thing of the past.

i still find it useful cuz i play dota 2. and honestly, u would be constantly using ur mouse left and right click[and the other 2 side buttons], it makes it difficult to click others[those crazy 6+ side button mouses] in intense moments. keyboard dedicated macro is useful there. no need to move ur hands from the hot zone[very critical].

Logitech g910 and G710 have them. g810 and g610 dont. all higher models in razer, thermaltake have them. i think thats a cost reducing way and so companies them in lower models. "Macro keys are now a thing of the past." would say otherwise ;)

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

I agree with you to an extent. You're right that key bindings/macro programming both in a keyboard's proprietary software (if it has any) and in game bindings more or less obviate the need for dedicated macro keys. And I too have found that it's sometimes more handy to bind actions to a multi-button mouse than having a whole bunch of extra keys programmed.

But this is all super subjective. Eg, I personally have no use whatsoever for a numpad. Just none at all. But others would never ever consider buying a keyboard without one. I recall another commenter once saying that they don't want any mouse with fewer than like 13 buttons, because they did 100% of their macros & key bindings on the mouse instead of the keyboard.

Tldr, there's more than one way to skin a cat. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS