Win 10 - Black screen - GPU has failed - replacing with another

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Hello everyone,

There is a problem with my computer, I was playing "WoW" and all of sudden my freezes for a moment and I was able to play again (thought it was a lag or something). Then couple minutes later, something happened and my WoW completely froze. Here is the example as of what happened: http://i.imgur.com/wxebYrB.jpg

After that my screen turned black. I decided to use the power button on my case to restart my computer but after displaying Win 10 logo, the screen turned black as there was no output signal as my monitor's blue light which indicates that it is turned into a brown color that only when I get that when my PC is turned off (side note; after waiting for like 2-3 minute into black screen, my PC would restart itself again.). At first, I thought it was my windows because something similar happened to my on win7 - XP around 10-11 years ago, so I decided to repair my windows which it was impossible because the screen was still black.

I managed to get into safe mode, and after checking device manager I found out that my Monitor AoC 2367 because it had ! mark next to its driver ( then I realized if that was a monitor, then how could I get a screen from my PC in safe mode). I managed to extract important files that I needed out of my current computer and reinstalled windows 10 through reset (fresh start).

Even after reinstalling windows, I still have the same problem as when it pass Win logo, it will automatically turn black so I can't do anything after that.I also checked my motherboard closely and I saw all lights are on as it should be (still not sure).

My computer specs are (built my pc back in 2014):

Cpu : Intel Core i7-3770K - Link to amazon

GPU : EVGA GTX 770 - Link to amazon

Motherboard : ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE - Link to amazon

Ram: 16GB kingston

I would appreciate any help regarding this matter.
Thanks in advanced.

Solution
If you don't have another GPU, maybe you can test yours at another computer? That would also help to determine if your GPU is indeed cause of problem.

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017

Thank you for your respond @DRagor
I checked all GPU drivers through safe mode and they were looking okay and updated to current - last version.
I also tried to install Ubuntu because I heard that it is possible to get into os to do some hard testing. But even after setting bootable ubuntu disk, I had the same problem as the on I have on windows meaning that after win 10 logo during startup, the screen will go blacks and can't do anything at all (sometimes it will restart automatically). Here is a gif video of what is happening: http://i.imgur.com/83mu6ZX.gifv

Since you said I may need to test it with another GPU, I just wanted to say that I don't have any at this moment and I may try to get something new. In this case, what would you recommend to replace the current one?

Depends on resolution of your monitor. For 1080p at 60 Hz, gtx 1060 (6Gb version) or rx 580 is enough. For higher resolution or refresh rates, you would want gtx 1070 or gtx 1080, although I think 1080 might not be able to show it's full power with your CPU. If at budget, gtx 1050 ti or rx 570 are also good cards.
Of course, you must also take into account if your PSU has enough power (most power hungry cards are rx 580, gtx 1070 and 1080), correct PCIe plugs (number and type), and available space in your case (many new cards have 3-fans build, so they are considerably longer then older 2-fan builds).

Shahinpb

Reputable
May 6, 2017

My current monitor resolution is 1920 x 1080 @60Hz. However, I'm thinking about either buying another monitor or upgrading current one mid fall or before Christmas by getting - 1440p (2560x1440) - 144HZ but still undecided on which Res, so in that case, I may consider upgrading my CPU as well.
From your point of view If I want to get one for its longevity (keeping it for let's say another 4-5 years), Would you still recommend that 1060 or should I go with 1070-1080?
(About budget for GPU, I can spend around $550-$650 but I can go higher if its good GPU)

As for PSU, I have this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104164 , so what do you think about it? does it worth keeping the same PSU while getting a new GPU or do I have to change that as well?

Thanks again.

+++
Edit: I was looking through amazon and saw 2 graphic cards that they got my attention:
1. GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme Edition : https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-Extreme-Graphic-ZT-P10800B-10P/dp/B01GCAVSIO?th=1#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div
2. GTX 1080 EVGA FTW Hybrid : https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-GAMING-GDDR5X-Technology/dp/B01LHYIFE0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1495850758&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=gtx%2B1080%2BHybrid%2BFTW3&th=1
I saw their descriptions and some checked some reviews that they claimed Zotac has some fan related issue even, so between these two, which one would you recommend?

For a 1440p at 144hz, gtx 1060 is definitely not enough (or rx 580, they are same level). gtx 1070 would be minimum, and 1080 comfortable choice. The best for now (not counting Titan) is gtx 1080ti, but it is slightly above your budget (around 700$ and up) and considered card for 4K displays. Note the word 'now' - since both AMD and NVidia are supposedly showing new high end cards within a month - and this can really shake the market.
So if you were to buy now, probably 1080. And your PSU is good enough for those cards too, so no problem here.
Which one? I'm kind of Asus fan :) Don't have experience with EVGA as they are not sold in my country, but I heave heard much good about Zotac - especially performance level of their AMP series - and I think they give 5 years warranty. But indeed as far as considering fans and noise levels, Asus Strix cards and the new Gigabyte Aorus series are better.