Totally black screen in Windows 8.1

Linderella

Prominent
May 19, 2017
My screen (win 8.1) went totally black when I tried to change over bright display using brightness setting in "charms" and I mean totally black. I am really bummed over this since I cannot live without my pc. Is there an easy fix for this? I am computer illiterate. Help, please.

Solution
thanks for your reply. I haven't had a desktop pc for years but remember well the buttons on the bottom oyf the monitor that could fix the display so easily. But my laptop has only internal fixes, like in the control panel. The "charms" are in the 8, 8.1 windows display. That's the name they are called, apparently. They are stupid and very limited in what they can do. They are icon-type pictures that you have to feel around the side of the screen for. Sometimes they can be found, sometimes not. There is only a brightness charm for changing the display. Why Microsoft's reconfiguring this inferior Windows os can only be to sell new units.. Anyway, my daughter fixed the brightness problem easily by pressing two keys: the "Fn" one (never...

Linderella

Prominent
May 19, 2017

Linderella

Prominent
May 19, 2017
thanks for your reply. I haven't had a desktop pc for years but remember well the buttons on the bottom oyf the monitor that could fix the display so easily. But my laptop has only internal fixes, like in the control panel. The "charms" are in the 8, 8.1 windows display. That's the name they are called, apparently. They are stupid and very limited in what they can do. They are icon-type pictures that you have to feel around the side of the screen for. Sometimes they can be found, sometimes not. There is only a brightness charm for changing the display. Why Microsoft's reconfiguring this inferior Windows os can only be to sell new units.. Anyway, my daughter fixed the brightness problem easily by pressing two keys: the "Fn" one (never knew what that was) along with the up arrow key with a sun symbol. Who knew that? I think I will buy a Mac next. Thanks again.

Solution