Need help reinstalling windows 10

TheGreenForest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2015
Hello. Just recently I upgraded my mobo, CPU, and ram to the new generation. So therefore I know that I will most likely have to buy windows product key again. The thing I need help with is how I can I reinstall windows 10 without having anything erased or modified. Step by step directions will greatly help. Just an fyi, I got my windows 10 off of the free upgrade microsoft did back then in the summer.

Solution

No.
Install the OS.
When it asks for the license key, select "I don't have a product key"
Continue the install.

Later, it will fail to activate.
This is when you try the activation oer the phone, possibly even calling MS and talking to a human.
They do realize that motherboards die and need to be replaced. They will almost certainly give you a new license key for your replacement hardware.

Unless you like giving them $100 for nothing.

USAFRet

Titan

You almost certainly do NOT have to buy Win 10 again.

Have you changed the parts yet?
If so, can you change them back temporarily?

USAFRet

Titan

ooo, bummer

In any case, you still don't need to buy the OS again. MS is generally very, very lenient with a broken motherboard replacement and the OS license.

Reinstalling is no problem.
The only issue is attempting to keep what you have currently on there.

Build the new system.
See if it boots up. You might get lucky, and it actually boots properly.
If not...then boot from the Win 10 USB or DVD you make, from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hopefully, you'll get the option of how to install...obviously, "Keep Everything" is what you want to choose.

USAFRet

Titan

No.
Install the OS.
When it asks for the license key, select "I don't have a product key"
Continue the install.

Later, it will fail to activate.
This is when you try the activation oer the phone, possibly even calling MS and talking to a human.
They do realize that motherboards die and need to be replaced. They will almost certainly give you a new license key for your replacement hardware.

Unless you like giving them $100 for nothing.

Solution

TheGreenForest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2015

so are you saying that if you skip the product key, you can still get into windows? I think I heard that it gives you a temporary time limit to use windows. Is that true?

USAFRet

Titan

With previous Windows versions, there was a 30 day time limit. It worked fully, but at 30 days it pretty much cut you off.

With Win 10, there seems to be a few usability restrictions, from Day 1.
No personalization of the desktop or taskbar.
Random nag screens

But there is no hard time limit.
I have a Win 10 Pro install in a VitrualMachine to test exactly this.

Installed on Dec 8 2016. Still running just like day 1. And it gets all the relevant updates.

USAFRet

Titan

For your use...if you need to reinstall...skip the entering of the license key.
You can still run the OS.

TheGreenForest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2015

I see, and afterwards I can call ms and see if they can give me a free license by explaining my situation correct?

USAFRet

Titan

Exactly.

TheGreenForest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2015

I just got started and on the windows installation I chose upgrade installation since that's the one that keeps all the stuff on my pc and it said that it can't do that on windows installation media. Am I suppose to click on custom and choose parts of my ssd?

USAFRet

Titan

Did you try just booting up the OS with the new hardware? No installation...just see if it boots up.

TheGreenForest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2015

Just turning it on without the usb in would cause the screen to say stuff about how there's missing data on the hard drive for windows with the black and white windows media menu. That's how I started this thread to see if I can install windows 10 with all my files still intact.

USAFRet

Titan

OK...

At this point, I am unsure of how to do a clean install (which is needed here and not unexpected), AND save the existing data.
I do not believe this is possible.

(this is what backups are for)

TheGreenForest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2015

how can i do a backup while my computer is in this state. is it not possible? Is it possible not to lose EVERYTHING in a computer if i were to click custom and click on the partition? Or should I just call ms and see if they can do anything about this?

USAFRet

Titan

Backups are done before weird things happen.
A drive dies, your motherboard goes south...
A hardware issue should never impact your data.

After the fact, there is not much you, or Microsoft, or anyone else, can do.

Possibly...and this involves a lot of workarounds, some OS learning, and another drive...and will not save your installed applications...

Create a Linux LiveCD.
Boot from that, learn how to move around in Linux, access your existing drive, and copy your personal data off to this 'other drive'.
Once you have that, then go through the Windows reinstall you started earlier.
Obviously, all your applications, etc will need to be reinstalled, but you'll have all your personal files.

But for the future...this is exactly what backups are for.
If all the drives in my system were to melt into a pile of goo right now...I could recover the system to what it was at 1AM yesterday.
If the whole system went into meltdown, I'd have to reinstall the OS and applications, but all of my personal data is just fine and recoverable.

TheGreenForest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2015
Just another thing. Would it erase both drives that I have? Because I have a hdd and a ssd where I first put windows in. If I were to do it again in the ssd wouldn't it keep everything in the hdd? I would have to install drivers again if that's the case but that'd be better than losing all my personal files.

USAFRet

Titan

Disconnect the HDD during this process.
That way, absolutely nothing on it will be changed, and you can't make a mistake.

TheGreenForest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2015

• I'm familiar with Ubuntu so I'll back up everything I can to an external hard drive then I'll do what you said I'll disconnect my hdd while recreating my partition on my ssd. Does that sound like a good plan?

USAFRet

Titan

Those steps, exactly.