Looking for 1440p 144hz monitor

MrEleven1181

Honorable
Mar 7, 2015
Hello looking for advice on a new monitor I play at 1080p 144hz the now so my new 1440p must be 144hz, looking for recommendations been told not to get a tn go for isp but don't know much about that stuff so thought I would ask on the forum

Solution
There are pros and cons, you need to decide for yourself if you want an IPS or TN. IPS are more expensive and many have backlight bleed issues, I really dont think colors are a factor for a gamer when comparing a good a good 8 or 10bit TN to an IPS. like I said if you had a good TN and an IPS right in front of you and you were at the proper viewing angle for the TN I doubt you would be able to tell the difference, my biggest issue with TN is that the colors shift every time you move your head.

Many people have differing opinions, I find it very rare when everyone agrees on something. Do some more research and decide for yourself. Its not as simple as "I will be gaming only and want the best picture possible for my budget" lots of...
(Copy/paste from same kind of question an hour ago)
1) what budget, exactly?
2) higher priced TNs are not trash - don't buy in to the IPS hype

Take a look at the Dell S2716DG - on sale for $480:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0149QBOF0/?tag=pcpapi-20
Or Best Buy.

27", 1440p, 144hz, 3ms/1ms, gsync. Had mine for nearly a year and love it.

The calibration profile is available on tftcentral.

Would be good if you could find it in a store like best buy or microcenter to see it in person. Hopefully an IPS expert will be along soon to link some models.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
IPS not ISP lol. What is your budget? 1440p 144hz+ IPS monitors are not cheap, you're talking 600 dollars or more. The dell recommend above is the cheapest gsync 144hz 1440p monitor I am aware of but that is a TN panel.

I quite like a TN, nice ones like that dell are rather good. My biggest problem with TN is the color shift you get whenever you move your head. But if you had a TN and IPS right next to each other and you are at the right vieweing angle for the TN I doubt you would ever be able to tell them apart. And there is also the issue of backlight bleed and IPS glow with IPS monitors.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Harder and more expensive to manufacture I would imagine, not really sure. I know its difficult to make very responsive high refresh rate IPS panels like the ones we are discussing. Only recently have monitors like the asus PG279Q and acer predator xb271hu come to market. Before that we only had 60hz IPS panels some 120 and 144 panels but with input lag and response times much greater than a gamer would want, they were mainly used for production purposes or on HDTVs.

chalky16

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

IPS panels have better colors and better viewing angles. But if you're only gaming (no picture or video editiing) then the type of panel doesn't really matter.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
There are pros and cons, you need to decide for yourself if you want an IPS or TN. IPS are more expensive and many have backlight bleed issues, I really dont think colors are a factor for a gamer when comparing a good a good 8 or 10bit TN to an IPS. like I said if you had a good TN and an IPS right in front of you and you were at the proper viewing angle for the TN I doubt you would be able to tell the difference, my biggest issue with TN is that the colors shift every time you move your head.

Many people have differing opinions, I find it very rare when everyone agrees on something. Do some more research and decide for yourself. Its not as simple as "I will be gaming only and want the best picture possible for my budget" lots of different monitors out there to suit lots of different preferences.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Lol there you go. I actually have the Asus PG279Q witch uses the same 144hz 1440p Gsync LG panel as that acer predator, I was very impressed beautiful panel. I'm sure you wont be dissapointed. My sample did have some backlight bleed and I have heard many do, It does not bother me too much so I didn't bother sending it back.