UPS with delayed alarm

Justin Crapola

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I'm looking for a UPS where it won't alarm if the power goes out but there is still plenty of power left. Only make audible alarm when the battery power is getting low. Anything like this?

As a possible, but not ideal alternative, I considered just disabling the alarm on the UPS and purchase a power outage alarm. That would only alarm after the UPS has died though.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
FWIW my CyberPower UPS has like 10 seconds "grace period" after the power outage before it starts beeping, but it can be muted by holding the "Display" button (until the next power outage). If I notice there is a power outage while I'm at my PC, I immediately mute it and never hear any beeping.

You could also completely disable the alarm on your UPS if it supports it, and set up the alarm in Windows, it allows more finely grained levels of warning (by percentage).

Justin Crapola

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
I was wanting it to power a CPAP machine, for sleep apnea. And I don't want to be woke up with any beeping until the battery is near dead. There are battery packs for CPAP machines and I guess that is what I'd have to get. But you can get qood quality UPS with lot longer battery life for a lot less money than the battery pack units sold by the CPAP vendors.

I'm not planning on having any computer connected to it.

amigafan

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
Most UPS for computers are quite loud when they switch to and operate on the battery power, enough to wake you up. First, the electromechanical relay switch can make a sharp loud tick, then the inverter inside the UPS can drone quite loudly, and finally there is a cooling fan which may turn on too. This all depends on the UPS maker & model, but generally I'd bet that the CPAP battery pack would be more quality and satisfactory solution for you in the long run.