Windows doesn't move files

WindFall

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Hello I have just installed in my new hard disk W10, and now I'm trying to move all the programs in the "cheapest way" by dragging and dropping them from the old hd to the new one, but when I do that, the copy action blocks. It happens when I give them administrator privileges. For example, when I move the directory (like the mozilla installation path) to the Desktop/Local drive, it doesn't ask for permissions and everything goes well, but when I try to move a file to Program Files/Program Files (x86)/Users the program do some %, it asks for privileges, I accept, and the loading simply get stuck. Without errors. Any suggestion?

Solution
You can not just drag and drop programs that are installed. The programs have entries in the registry that point to the directory they are installed in. You will have to uninstall and reinstall OR clone your entire disk.

kanewolf

Titan
You can not just drag and drop programs that are installed. The programs have entries in the registry that point to the directory they are installed in. You will have to uninstall and reinstall OR clone your entire disk.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

That does not work. At all.
Even if the "copy" function DID work, the application would not run.

The 'copy action blocks' is a whole different issue.
But you cannot do this as you are trying to do it.