Unresponsive desktop, can't select account on "startup repair"

trainut

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014
I am having a really weird problem. I attempted to boot my computer up today, and I was greeted with a totally unresponsive desktop. No icons loaded except for the taskbar, and clicking anywhere on the taskbar does nothing. I tried a hard shutdown and I restarted to the same problem. I then tried Crtl+Alt+Del which did bring me to the usual menu, but selecting "Task Manager" would simply return me to the unresponsive desktop. I then selected "Log Out", and I was able to use the login screen to hold Shift while clicking "Restart" to get into the startup options. From here, I tried to boot in Safe Mode, and then with driver signatures disabled. Neither did anything.

So I went back to the startup options via Shift+Restart and tried to select "Startup Repair". It took me to the startup repair screen, where it prompts me to "choose an account to continue". I only have one account on the computer, and it is the only one listed. I pressed "Enter", and nothing happened. I tried to use the mouse, and nothing happened, I pressed "Esc", and nothing happened. How do I select the account to continue with the startup repair process?

And, of course, if anyone has and other ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.

Here are my specs:
Dell XPS 8300 (0Y2MRG motherboard)
Intel i5-2400 3.1GHz
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500GB (boot drive)
WD Blue 7200rpm 1TB
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW 8GB
12GB Samsung/Micron DDR3 RAM

Thanks,
Ben

Solution

EzraWard

Prominent
May 25, 2017
I don't have a solution at this time, but my Dell Venue 8 Pro is experiencing the same issue, and I came across your forum post also noting this as an issue. For reference, my tablet is a little different in way of specifications:

Intel Bay Trail processor
2 GB RAM
32 GB eMMC SSD
32-bit Windows 10 Home

Now, I have had the same issue. I log into the computer and it's like Windows Explorer is completely locked up. If I connect a keyboard to the tablet and try to open Task Manager, it will not open and I am sent back to the non-responsive start screen, just as you are. Now that I know I'm not the only one having issues, I'll try to look into a solution.

Have you found a way to fix, aside from blowing away the OS and completely reinstalling?

trainut

Reputable
Oct 15, 2014

Sorry for replying so late, but yes I sort of did. I came across a relatively recent system restore point that I was not aware of and managed to restore to that, which fixed the issue.

A similar, slightly less debilitating problem later came up, where things would be extremely slow or entirely unresponsive. I don't remember what made me try this, but I turned all sleep or hibernation modes off except for shutting the display off after 15 minutes, and that has prevented it from coming back. So maybe it has something to do with bad communication between Windows 10 and our old processors' sleep states.

Not sure if that will be of any help, but there you go.

Solution