Why do i have to boot from windows boot manager on HDD when windows is installed on SSD

Haverwolf

Prominent
May 21, 2017
I've recently built myself a computer and have noticed something strange in the BIOS; whilst windows is installed on my SSD, in order to load windows i need to set my boot option to "Windows boot manager (P3: WDC WD20EZRZ...) which is my HDD. If i try to boot from my SSD directly it just gives me a blank post.
I have confirmed in disk manager that my OS is actually stored on my SSD.
This isn't major, but its really confusing me...
Thanks in advance for your help!!

Solution
Default installation will write the boot files and mbr to the disk that is listed as the first device in the bios which takes the order from how the devices are connected to the sata ports.
So the disk on the lowest sata port (while installing) will always be considered the boot device no matter if it contains a OS or not.

Hence why many tutorials on installing windows tell you to disconnect any other drive other then the one you want to install windows to,this way the only drive will also be the one connected to the lowest sata port, while installing,so all the boot files will go to this drive.
Default installation will write the boot files and mbr to the disk that is listed as the first device in the bios which takes the order from how the devices are connected to the sata ports.
So the disk on the lowest sata port (while installing) will always be considered the boot device no matter if it contains a OS or not.

Hence why many tutorials on installing windows tell you to disconnect any other drive other then the one you want to install windows to,this way the only drive will also be the one connected to the lowest sata port, while installing,so all the boot files will go to this drive.

Solution
To fix it:
1. Copy any documents you want to save from the SSD to the HDD.
2. Be sure you have your Windows 10 activation set up in your Microsoft account.
3. Disconnect the sata cable from the HDD.
4. Do a clean install of windows to the SSD.
5. Make sure the SSD is set as the boot drive in bios.
6. Reconnect the HDD. Remove any other partitions other than your data partition.
7. Move your data on the HDD to a folder at the root of the HDD, then delete the OS folders.

Haverwolf

Prominent
May 21, 2017
Ok, thanks for the info!
Now that I know, hopefully I wont make the mistake again.
If I leave it like this, will it have any negative impact on performance? I know it might affect me if i switch out one of my drives later on, but for now does it matter?
Thanks again!