Does this game require an i7 cpu instead of i5 to look like this? Or a good video card like a 1080?

Joe Coste

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Just to show you what I'm talking about, the game is Star Trek Bridge Crew VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-9B9jifj-k

Ubisoft is basically saying in this video that in order to get these physics effects, solar flare effects and bridge destruction effects that it's obtainable with an i7 processor, they don't even mention what video card is needed.

Am I crazy here? Are these effects CPU driven????

Yes, VR is really quite CPU intensive, and you need a very powerful GPU in order to get the higher levels of effects while maintaining a high frame rate (Above 90-100 at all times for VR otherwise you get motion sick).
Same applies to every other game, there are options which are more demanding and require better hardware to run well.

Joe Coste

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

I can understand the GPU part, but it's just i've never seen a VR game dictate whether you have physics effects or added particle effects depending on if i have an i5 versus an i7.

there are two types of physics, the first being GPU based and the second is CPU based. VR requires a high amount of CPU processing and a high amount of GPU processing. AMD has CPU's that hold there own against Intel's i7 CPU's so Intel is not the only answer at the moment for a CPU. I recommend a High end GPU along with either an i7 or AMD equivalent due to the demanding nature of VR.

Joe Coste

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

I did and they're saying it's a marketing ploy, but I'm getting mixed responses now. Just trying to find a straight answer whether this is a real thing or if it's more like a "Ubisoft and Intel marriage".

It is a real thing, they just recommend Intel because i7s are known to be good for high end, and that is likely what they were running.
Ryzen is most likely not well optimized for VR at the moment, and therefore was not used in testing.

And considering this game was in the works long before Rysen was any where near launch... this is why Rysen was not tested.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016
I have a feeling they are full of it I doubt that if you have something along the lines of a 1070 and an I5 6500 or something close to that it will be fine at 1080p

This discussion, question, is about Virtual Reality (VR) and not about 1080p resolution. There is a huge difference.

Kunra Zether

Reputable
Jun 25, 2016

I know this but the game is displayed in 1080p over VR says it in the specs. I doubt they would release a game that could only play on an I7 and a 1080 in fact the system requirements are much lower then that. So he might have to turn something down to maintain a stable refresh rate. Unless one game is worth dropping $300 on a CPU to be able to Max it out.