vertical dotted temporary black line on laptop screen, not showing on white-ish backgrounds

SidhNanda

Prominent
May 22, 2017
hi everyone! i have a hp envy 15-j133tx laptop. for the past couple days i have been seeing a vertical dotted black line on my laptop screen, its not showing on any kind of white-ish backgrounds. when i updated the display drivers, it went away but now it has come back and its sort of temporary, sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesnt(in the BIOS too) any kind of solutions would be greatly helpful :D

Solution
Since it is showing in the bios, it is a physical problem and not a software problem. Either the cable connecting your LCD is going bad, which you can replace for less than $15, or your LCD itself is going bad. I would suggest replacing the LCD cable, it is a common problem and there is a good chance it will fix it.

ExaltedNik

Prominent
May 9, 2017
Since it is showing in the bios, it is a physical problem and not a software problem. Either the cable connecting your LCD is going bad, which you can replace for less than $15, or your LCD itself is going bad. I would suggest replacing the LCD cable, it is a common problem and there is a good chance it will fix it.

Solution