Decade-old monitor i am tinkering with only stays powered on when one of the buttons are held.

LegendOfAB

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Hanns-G HW-173D

Old monitor my aunt gave to me. It is in pretty good shape aside from the issue that brought me here, and i would like to put it to work somehow.

Now, the issue isn't exactly a deal-breaker, as i could just tape one of the buttons (the 'menu' button seems to work best, oddly) down and call it a day. But holding down any of the buttons prevents me from accessing the monitor's menu and messing around with its settings. It would definitely be nice if i could get at those.

I am hoping i can just pop it open and adjust/replace something cheap to fix the problem. I am comfortable with soldering and whatnot if it comes to that. Does anyone know what could be going on here?

Solution
The power button, I think is a momentary contact switch.
I suspect the problem lies with the control board/circuitry inside the monitor.
You perhaps could find and download the service manual for the monitor.
Identify the control module and see if you can find a cheap enough replacement.

Realistically, just tape down a button that works, or dump the monitor, a replacement is not expensive.
The power button, I think is a momentary contact switch.
I suspect the problem lies with the control board/circuitry inside the monitor.
You perhaps could find and download the service manual for the monitor.
Identify the control module and see if you can find a cheap enough replacement.

Realistically, just tape down a button that works, or dump the monitor, a replacement is not expensive.

Solution

Something inside is breaking the power circuit constantly to button being held down probably overrides this. I think one of the boards inside is busted.