Safe to buy Windows 10 N version on Reddit?

Solution

This works specifically for a Win 10 that was Upgraded from 7.
I've personally done it. It works.

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
I've got another little question.

We have a budget desktop that's sat in a box for a good while and it has Windows 10 on it as it's a 2015 model. Can I uninstall Windows 10 on the old desktop and reuse that key?

USAFRet

Titan

Where did the Win 10 come from on this box?
Was it preinstalled?
Does this system run?

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
I can't remember if it might have been an upgrade though the free uograde program. It either had 10 or maybe 7 pre-installed. It runs but we stopped using it since it was slow even for browsing. Can't remember 100% because we had an old budget model, used this for a little while then replaced again for an iMac, we just use it as an internet/ office PC. We either upgraded the old old one or this 2015 model.

EDIT: Confirmed that the 2015 desktop is a free upgrade

USAFRet

Titan

OK then...
If it runs, do the stuff in here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3164428/windows-build-1607-activation.html

This will link that digital entitlement to your MS account.

Later, on the new hardware, you can transfer that digital license over, and activate it on teh new hardware.
Obviously, only one system at a time.

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013

This works even if the Windows 10 license was a free upgrade from Windows 7?

Thank you so much! Wish I could choose both your posts as Solution! You saved me from getting ripped off on Reddit(USD$25) and from having to buy Windows 10 again!

:bounce:

USAFRet

Titan

This works specifically for a Win 10 that was Upgraded from 7.
I've personally done it. It works.

Solution

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Not sure if I should post this as a new question or not but I'm ready to proceed on the OS license transfer. I have just received my final component

My old desktop struggles to run Win10 as the specs are very low, I'm currently wondering if I ought to remove the HDD and add it into my new PC as a boot drive for now?

you could but you would likely have to do a clean install of windows since all the hardware will be different. you have a 50/50 chance of it booting with your old windows install

Kobe Eveleigh

Honorable
Sep 29, 2013
Update: The old desktop will not successfully boot anymore. No idea why but apparently it's junk. So i pulled out the HDD and plugged it on my new PC.

Monitor will not recognize the video input it seems(or maybe other way around??). Trying to get it to boot up from the old desktop's HDD