new monitor display port question

elkido122

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
i just ordered a new monitor and it uses display port. i have a 1080ti i will hook up to it. this monitor has built in speakers that i do not want in use since i have headphones. will i have to disable anything or is it going to be playing audio out of them if i do not disable something cause i dont want it to play audio. thanks

Solution
Your montior cant play sound if you are not hooking up any audio output to the monitor in the first place.

With HDMI you have the option to output sound over HDMI but with Display Port and DVI it is video only so you are not even feeding audio to the moniotor in any way.

Now one side question: Are you using Display Port for GSYNC? Otherwise for larger than 1080p resolution HDMI is better, and if only using 1080p then that 1080ti is not doing anything for you vs say a 1070
Your montior cant play sound if you are not hooking up any audio output to the monitor in the first place.

With HDMI you have the option to output sound over HDMI but with Display Port and DVI it is video only so you are not even feeding audio to the moniotor in any way.

Now one side question: Are you using Display Port for GSYNC? Otherwise for larger than 1080p resolution HDMI is better, and if only using 1080p then that 1080ti is not doing anything for you vs say a 1070

Solution