Annoying buzzing on new build

biggawhat

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hello all, just finished my new build and am plagued by an annoying buzzing/interference sound that is coming through my headphones, especially when gaming. The sound is present at baseline, usually is heard lightly when moving my mouse, and is heard loudly when playing a game (also it seems to change pitched when going between menus in games, if that helps). It isn't coil whine I don't think. I don't hear the sound when connecting through the front jack but I feel audio quality is significantly worse through that jack. I have tried muting input lines, unplugging cords from the back, fiddling with the audio/audio quality settings, updating audio drivers, moving GPU to the lower PCI slot, and nothing has helped. I feel its some sort of signal from the GPU or maybe the PSU that is being picked up but I don't really know how to further troubleshoot or possibly fix it. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Specs:
Win 10 64 bit
ASRock Z270 gaming K6 motherboard
Corsair RM750X PSU
I7-7700K @ 4.2GHz
Scythe Mugen 5 heatsink
Gigabyte AORUS 1080 Ti
16 GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
1 TB Samsung 850 EVO
2 TB Seagate Barracuda

jayhayjay

Honorable
Nov 18, 2015

Hi, there.

First of all, if you can only hear it through your headphones (and even from your speakers), it's definitely not coil whine.

I used to hear a buzzing sound a while ago if I had my mouse connected to my case's front usb slots. Whenever, the mouse's laser would flash, a buzzing sound would come out of the headphones or the speakers I'd have connected in the case's front panel. I wouldn't hear anything if I connected them to my motherboard, though.

I believe it is a component interferring (mouse, keyboard, mic, webcam etc.).

You should wait for more responses, though :p

biggawhat

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
A few more things of note, the buzzing does not change volume when changing system sound, so even if I mute the computer I can hear it through the headphones. I've tried capping the FPS, and it seems the higher cap I put the higher pitched the buzzing sound is and vice versa. It is still present and loud at a cap of 60.

No buzzing from front audio ports (but quality seems worse than back ports), no buzzing when running a CPU stress test

jayhayjay

Honorable
Nov 18, 2015
If it was coil whine, you would hear it straight from the GPU and not the headphones.

The best thing to do is to unplug every device, see if it still persists and then start plugging them back in to find out whether it's one of them that causes it.