Upgrade for 1080p 144Hz

yECHj

Prominent
May 23, 2017
My R9 280x is producing a ton of artifacts during my gaming sessions lately and I think it's time for an upgrade.

I recently bought an ASUS MG248Q, 144Hz 1080p FreeSync monitor.

My budget is around the GTX 1070 range (roughly $550CAD or $410USD) and as such I've been looking at GTX 1070s, RX 580s etc.

I looked around the used market and managed to find:
EVGA GTX 1070 SC (Open box New) - $480CAD
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming OC - $480CAD
[strike]Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming - $450CAD[/strike] SOLD

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti GAMING - $480CAD
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti SC GAMING ACX 2.0+ - $440CAD

MSI RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC (New) - $350CAD
Gigabyte RX 580 GAMING 4G (New) - $305CAD

I want to be able to hit the frame rates that my monitor can produce; however, I'm not sure the RX 580 can hit those frame rates, hence why I'm looking at nVidia even though my monitor only supports FreeSync. Should I buy one of the previous cards or maybe wait for the RX Vega? How likely will the Vega be in my price range (I can stretch it depending on the performance numbers)? Volta is probably too far out to wait for I'm guessing.

Any other suggestions?

My current system:
i5 4670K
8GB GDDR3
700W PSU

As a side note, should I also upgrade to 16GB of RAM? and maybe look into overclocking my CPU?

If you don't mind waiting another ~6 weeks, then wait and see what Vega brings. Traditionally AMD has looked to under-cut the competition, which results in lower prices all round.
The RX 580 just isn't powerful enough for 144Hz, not if you want to run ultra/high setting.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming

make sure your case can fit it and your power supply has the right number of pcie cables

the rx 580 is far too weak, not worth considering

since you have a freesync monitor it may be prudent to wait and see if amd can deliver 1070 performance from vega

and yes you are going to need to overclock that cpu

JBDelta

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2014
As maxalge said, the Gigabyte G1 GTX 1070 has the best designed cooler allowing for overclocking potential (if you're into that kind of thing). And an overclock of about 4.2Ghz on your 4670k should do the trick!

yECHj

Prominent
May 23, 2017
Thanks for the replies.

It seems like the GTX 1070 is my best bet currently. I looked into the RX Vega some more and it appears that AMD isn't planning to release the gaming version first, that coupled with the fact that it is rumored to be on the 1080/1080Ti level makes me think even with their pricing it will be out of my budget.

It looks like the Gigabyte card just got sold. Any suggestions on whether I should buy the EVGA or the ASUS one?
I will keep the RX Vega in mind in the meantime; maybe sell the GTX 1070 when it finally gets released?

JBDelta

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2014
Do you mean the Gigabyte G1 is sold out? If that is the case then ASUS and EVGA have their perks but ultimately it's up to you. Personally, I would go with EVGA just because to me, they seem to be NVidia's closest friend as a manufacturer.

yECHj

Prominent
May 23, 2017

Yeah, these cards are used/lightly used. I'm most likely going to go with the EVGA one now since that one is unused and open box unless there is a significant difference in performance/overclocking capabilities.

Do you also think its worth investing in 8 more GB or RAM (making it 16GB total) or should I just wait it out and upgrade my CPU/MOBO when the time comes?

JBDelta

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2014
I would wait for the time to upgrade the MOBO/CPU. A big thing with the PC community often is finding the best time to buy and now is certainly not the best time but not terrible either. Up to you. Ryzen and Skylake are available but you could wait it out and at the same time save money during that time to buy something "better" since technology gets outdated for some people too quickly.