Would I see a Display improvement going from DVI D to Displayport?

Masoner

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
I currently have a stock (came with monitor) DVI D cable,

Monitor is a VG248Q the 144hrz 1080p model.

I was curious would changing from that DVI D cable to a

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200205&ignorebbr=1

Give me any type of quality/performance increases... even to say color quality?

Also, why is it so hard to find a DP cable that simply says "yes this works with 144hrz monitors.
>_<;;

Thanks for your assistance!

Solution

Yep, well you won't see any benefits.

Just in case I wasn't clear, there are absolutely benefits of DP. It supports higher resolutions and refresh rates. It supports HDR and tech like GSync and Freesync. It can also pass audio unlike DVI. So it certainly is a better standard.

But if your monitor can't take advantage of any of that additional functionality, then there is absolutely no point in switching.
RE DVI vs DP: Nope. Both are digital signals. As long as you're using the dual-link DVI, which is required for 144hz (so if you're running 144hz then you must be on dual-link) there are exactly 0 benefits of switching to DP.

RE DP Cable... a DP cable is a DP cable. All should work with DP right up to version 1.4. There's no different types as there are with DVI. Obviously ultra-cheap ebay knock-off cables are likely to be lower quality and aren't guaranteed to work, but that's about cheap construction rather than version compliance with a specific DP version or resolution. FWIW I've had pretty good success with cheap DP cables.

Masoner

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Yeah it's a DVI Digital and I've been using it for 144hrz..etc if there are no differences then I wont bother upgrading.

Thanks

Yep, well you won't see any benefits.

Just in case I wasn't clear, there are absolutely benefits of DP. It supports higher resolutions and refresh rates. It supports HDR and tech like GSync and Freesync. It can also pass audio unlike DVI. So it certainly is a better standard.

But if your monitor can't take advantage of any of that additional functionality, then there is absolutely no point in switching.

Solution

Astralv

Distinguished
I don't think DVI-D supports 4K, so for 4K monitor you need DP, but I can be wrong.

The DP cables come certified and not certified. The expansive cables are DP-certified and you need to look for certification if you want it to work right. I use DP with KVM switches and have issue with DP ports occasionally falling asleep (once in a month may be), also it takes a while for graphics card to detect a monitor some time.

Just for the record, DVI-D dual link has an effective bandwidth of just under 8Gbps, which is enough for up to 2560x1600P at 60hz, or technically 4K, but only at up to 33hz. Most would not consider that usable.

DP 1.2 on the other hand has just over 17Gbps effective bandwidth (4K@60hz), with almost 26Gbps from DP 1.3 (4K@120hz). DP 1.4 introduces compression to support even higher resolutions and refresh rates.

But yeah, all that is moot unless your monitor actually supports it.

Masoner

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
just again, to make sure, if my Asus VG248 which is a 1080p 144hrz monitor, with no free sync or g sync and currently running a DVI D cable, would not see any type of quality/performance increase going from this cable to a 1.2 Display Port cable...

No image quality/performance increase at all. There is absolutely no reason for you to change whatsoever.