Help with freesync

Ricardo_40

Prominent
Feb 14, 2017
do freesync monitors include a displayport connection on their back?

i see a monitor online http://www.samsung.com/mx/monitors/led-sf350/LS22F350FHLXZX/ and it says it supports freesync but i don't see it has any displayport connection

i have a rx 470 and it does have those kind of conectors available

Solution

AMD got Freesync working over HDMI, so use HDMI and you should be all good.

Having said that, I can't find the freesync range in the specs of that monitor. That's not a good sign. One of the best and worst things about Freesync is that it supports a really wide range of refresh rates. So you'll find amazing monitors with 30-144hz (or wider) refresh rate support, but then others with 40-60hz or 48-75hz ranges only. That means that...

AMD got Freesync working over HDMI, so use HDMI and you should be all good.

Having said that, I can't find the freesync range in the specs of that monitor. That's not a good sign. One of the best and worst things about Freesync is that it supports a really wide range of refresh rates. So you'll find amazing monitors with 30-144hz (or wider) refresh rate support, but then others with 40-60hz or 48-75hz ranges only. That means that Freesync will kick-in only while your FPS sits between that narrow band. Go outside and Freesync does nothing. While that's obviously better than no freesync at all, and allows cheap displays to offer some adaptive refresh rate without really adding any cost, it's also a bit misleading as it allows manufacturers to slap the "Freesync" logo onto a cheap display which really won't offer a great gaming experience.

Do you know what the freesync range on that monitor is? Are there other (better) monitors in the price range in your region? Unless it has a decen freesync range I wouldn't personally pay extra for a 40-60 or 48-75 "freesync" monitor if I could get a better non-freesync display at the same price. If it's more like 30-75, then I'd take it. That would support LFRC too, which you can read up on here: https://www.amd.com/Documents/freesync-lfc.pdf, but basically it provides a better experience when the frame rate drops below the minimum refresh rate on the monitor... BUT only works if the max refresh rate is 2.5 times (or more) higher than the minimum (so 30-75hz will work with LFRC, but 35-75 will not).

Solution